Any way to limit hyperthreading to less cores?

Technical questions, etc..
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Any way to limit hyperthreading to less cores?

Post by splinters » 27 Aug 2012, 20:46

I was rendering on my new Macbook today (i7, 16gb ram) and was amazed at how fast it rendered a large Vray file...also concerned about the heat being thrown out the back.
I opened task manager and looked at resources and the cpu was 100% across all cores; in this case 8 of them.
Brilliant if I need a fast render (and to fry an egg) and I know I can turn hyperthreading off but is there any way of using say 2 or 4 of those cores so I can continue in Photoshop etc and save the heat and fans throttling?

froo
Captain

Re: Any way to limit hyperthreading to less cores?

Post by froo » 27 Aug 2012, 21:45

Hey splinters, great to hear from you!

I do not know of a utility that lets you specify how many cores an application should use. I would think they exist though.

jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc » 27 Aug 2012, 23:28

Check this Website out.

Tells how to limit programs to one core.

Don't know about Apple computers though and it's simulators.

http://betanews.com/2011/03/07/tip-use- ... cpu-cores/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec » 28 Aug 2012, 10:23

Run With Affinity def does work, but not sure about Mac,, I know Linux has the option
I'm not sure if I would do that over any length of time, the electrician side of me concludes something heating up different areas isn't a good idea
If you've had the laptop for awhile make sure the heat sink isn't full of dust, our dual core used to sound like a jet turbine, from the side the heatsink looked clean but inside it looked like it had vaccumed a hotel, bare in mind its usually sat on a glass table so I was quite shocked lol

Emmanuel
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Emmanuel » 28 Aug 2012, 13:33

Thanks for the link James !
When trueSpace is rendering, there is little ressources for the rest of the applications and I can hardly do something else. With RunWithAffinity I can keep truespace rendering for hours and still be able to use the computer for other tasks.
Cool thing :)

froo
Captain

Post by froo » 28 Aug 2012, 14:02

Cool James!