Memory and the big file

Technical questions, etc..
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Memory and the big file

Post by trueBlue »

Can Workspace handle your scene?

Just some thoughts that may help in Model.
1.)Read the Appendix A Seal of Good Modeling
2.)Render Options:
Turn off Cast and Receive Shadows.
3.)Render to regions. There is a plugin for this from Johnny

Layers in trueSpace are used to group elements together without actually gluing them.

Rhino169
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Rhino169 »

Finis,

That is the dreaded question I have been afraid to ask....what other software would you suggest?

A low cost solution that can handle large models?

Or

An any cost software that can do the job?

I really have a need to make very large models that I can render.
Thanks for anyone's help in advance! :bananaguitar:

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Thanks trueblue...I will look into these options you have mentioned as well. :worship:

Emmanuel
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Rhino169 wrote: The file size? 132mb
Amount of vertices or polygons or objects? Could textures/shaders be a factor? ( I used none in this model)

TrueSpace fills the memory during your work. If a render fails, you can try to close tS, then restart, reload the scene and hit the render button. Sometimes, it works.
Remember, if a render fails, you have to exit tS and restart it before trying a different setting.
A black screen is always a sign that the memory is full, and any other tests after a black render are likely to fail also.

Now, regarding the factors leading to a rendering failure, they are cumulative.
The amount of objects, the amount of vertices, the size of textures, the lights settings, the shaders in use, and the render size in pixels are all factors.
A render can fail at 8000x6000 pixels but complete at a lower resolution.
A render can fail if you have a ton of 2048x2048 bitmap textures but complete if you reduce the size of the textures.

A 132 mb scene is too much for tS (and also for several 3D apps).
From my experience, scenes bigger than 40 or 50 mb often lead to errors.
During my work I always try to optimize the weight of the scene. Sometimes you can use textures rather than objects (that's especially true for trees). You can also reduce the number of vertex on objects that are far from the camera.
Lightworks does not like transparency and reflectance. It increases the calculations and memory use. Some shaders are more demanding.

It is sad to say, but only experience teaches all these tricks.

Could you upload your scene in some server to let us try to render it ? Perhaps we will find a workaround.

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Rendering: Kerkythea (free) or its big brother Thea (reasonable price). Good for realism. An odd and cheap or free renderer could be Bryce. It can handle bazillions of polys (more with instancing too). Marcel has done awesome renders with it. Goofy but usable interface. Rayman says Vue has a great renderer.

Rayman knows many of the pay/expensive options and sketchup. I think James has Lightwave and could advise about that and about Carrera.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Emmanuel...

I will try to do so and send you a PM with a link. I have some space out there...but not sure how much. I must check first. Also thanks for the info. I believe I have been trying to push truespace to places it may not have been designed to go. I still see use for it as maybe an initial modeller and then export over to another software for larger model renderings.
I am not using any textures on this model ..only colors from the material editor. Also, I only have maybe 2 or 3 infinite lights in there as well. I also pre-reduced the polygon count with a truespace tool to the minimum and still maintain integrity of the first assembly I did prior to copying it 21 times.

I will try uploading the model tonight for you to play with.

Finis....

Thanks for those options, I will look into those. I do see that I would need something that doesn't really need to be a great renderer. Only someting that will render just simply colored objects without textures or bitmaps applied to them. I don't even care if there are shadows being cast really. I also need just basic lighting as well.

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Rhino169 wrote: I also pre-reduced the polygon count with a truespace tool to the minimum and still maintain integrity of the first assembly I did prior to copying it 21 times.
What tool?
Can you upload this ONE object?
Have you tried Workspace for your whole scene?

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Bryce is simpler that Kerkythea although its interface takes some getting used to. So does KT's. There are tons of tutorials for Bryce. It renders a little cartoonish or artistic (painterly) but Marcel has produced photo realism (see thirsty tree) with it. Bryce can import TS cob files. You might be able to use its instancing feature to duplicate those repeated parts but its instancing is not well developed. Intended for forests not for precision. $20 http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro/

Looked at Thea. Higher price than I thought.
Last edited by Finis on 06 Dec 2013, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

trueblue...

I am at work currently and will check for sure when I get home, but I believe the tool I used was "polygon reduction"?

After selecting the object, this tool would remove polygons...I remember it had a setting I think that you set for tolerance maybe?

I know if I was too aggressive, it would start distorting the model and joining details to try and reduce polygons...so there was a threshold there that I had to find. It actually did a great job shinking the polygon count down.

I used cylinders in my model, maybe there is a better object to use as a primitive?

I will try to get the one object uploaded tonight.

I will try workspace tonight as well.

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Finis....

it is funny that bryce is so cheap. I may give that a try just as another potential route without to much financial pain.

I am shocked at how cheap it is and that if I import my model there, that it would be a better renderer. :bananacool2: but I will give it a try! Thanks!!