Memory and the big file

Technical questions, etc..
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Memory and the big file

Post by v3rd3 »

When it comes to textures, materials and lighting I use the tools in model side for model side renders and workspace for workspace.

Plain color settings to work ok from one side to the other but anything else there are some variations that end up needing to be tweeked.

One thing I do to manage memory is I turn off the bridge when I render in modelside ... this seems to be key to successfully rendering larger scenes.

Rhino169
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Rhino169 »

As far as size in vertices and polygons...my file is:

905764 vertices

1.78179e+006 polygons

I reopened the same file in ts7.61 under the model side and the colors reappeared. Most be an oddity as described by spacekadet.

Bridge off in 7.61 model side....freezes at 1/4 screen.

So my next question is...how do I do the render area of screen so that it saves the outputs as .jpg, .bmp etc.. so I can stitch them together in a image editing program? Currently the render ends up on the screen which then I assume I would have to do a print screen and save. This would limit my resolution I believe.

Thanks for the help so far. :D

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

See attached image below.

Click render to Screen/ Render To File and choose 'Render To File' icon (marked #1)

Click 'render a portion of the screen' icon. (#2)

Draw bounding box around area that you want rendered.

A dialog box will pop up where you choose location, format, and file name. (#3)
area_render_2_file_minitut.jpg

Emmanuel
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

spacekdet wrote:See attached image below.

Click render to Screen/ Render To File and choose 'Render To File' icon (marked #1)

Click 'render a portion of the screen' icon. (#2)

Draw bounding box around area that you want rendered.

A dialog box will pop up where you choose location, format, and file name. (#3)
area_render_2_file_minitut.jpg
Or press the Ctrl key when clicking the Render Portion Of Screen icon, as I said in the earlier post.

Regarding your problem with textures being replaced with plain grey color, this was a known memory bug in tS7.5 that should have been fixed in tS7.6, and should never happen if Bridge is turned OFF.
It also comes if you try to open tS7.6 cob or scn files in earlier versions.

I never encountered this issue in other situations though.

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Spacekadet,
Thanks for the extra bit of guidance. I assumed it was possiblr to do a partial screen render...just didn't know the extra steps involved! :worship:

I will try and post a picture when I get finished.

One thing I do notice is that the file while in ts6.6 is much more stable and has only given me one error so far when I tried to clear an animation, while in scene editor, that I fat fingered onto an object. I have no animation in the scene.

With 7.61, I was getting erros daily...the one that asks you if you want to try and recover your file,....and this was causing me to save every chance I could get. :evil:

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

For those who read my initial issue with this file:

123 mb

905764 vertices

1.78179e+006 polygons

I was unable to render it fully. The screen would render about 1/4 of the way down to where the heavy geometry in my model was located and then would show black for the rest of the screen.

Most of the gang figured it was because of system capacity issues. I had 4GB of RAM and it showed that I was at 100% memory usage during he render while watching task manager.

NOW:

I have a new I7 6x3940 core with 32mb memory and a nvidia 780 evga video card....plenty of power to handle this file......I had hoped....except........

It does the exact same thing!! :x ..except while in task manager, I see only 10% of the memory being used while rendering. 1/4 screen rendered - 3/4 screen black.

Does anybody have another thought on this?...to me, it is either truespace 7.61 or the file or model itself. I am rendering from modelside. :bananasad:

Thanks,
Jeff

Emmanuel
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Having 4 or 32 Mb of RAM does not change anything for trueSpace.
TrueSpace is a 32 bits program. It will not make use of your extra RAM, even in a 64bits system.

Again, to prevent to get into this situation, you have to optimize your scene during the building of the objects/textures/scene.
Recently, I found that I could render V-Ray scenes in higher resolution simply by using Clinton's PolyCombiner plugin. PolyCombiner converts glued objects into a single mesh. The number of vertices does not change, but it helps trueSpace's calculations a lot by simplifying the number of objects.
PolyCombiner generates a copy of your glued object, so you have to erase the glued object after the conversion. Before erasing the glued object, try to render the combined object first to check if the conversion generates some changes in the geometry. I noticed that the conversion may fill holes in some objects, depending on the geometry. It is easy to learn how to make good use of it though and avoid problematic holes.

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

Also try the MeshCollapse plugin. The advantage is that it deletes the original meshes so you don't have to. I didn't know it existed when I wrote the Polycombine plugin because it was in the gamespace section of the website. It can be found on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20051125210 ... ources.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: One more thing, the meshcollapse might be included in tS7.61 so if you have that maybe you don't need to download it.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com

Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

So what your telling me is that there is a mythical end or limit to the size of a model truespace can handle due to it's architecture or being 32bit?

SO I then have a question or 2...

What is this limit?

The file size? 132mb
Amount of vertices or polygons or objects? Could textures/shaders be a factor? ( I used none in this model)

To me...and excuse my lack of knowledge on what is really going on inside my computer.....I do not believe it to be any of those factors. I think it has to do with truespace and displaying that model or rendering that model.

As far as model size/vertices/polygons/objects, I think the model can be unlimited. It is the displaying or rendering of the model that is the issue.
My thought is that I can have things on layers and do in this model. When I have all layers showing, the model is slow to rotate and gives me the previous mentioned problem when being rendered. HOWEVER, when I turn off some layers, and reduce the visual content displayed on my screen, I am able to rotate faster and render. The model has not changed in size just what is being displayed. The overall polygons, vertices and objects are still the same. The difference is the amount of the model displayed on my screen is less.

So this means that there is a limit of sorts. Somewhere along the line your model will reach a point where you can build it bigger and bigger, only you will be unable to render it as a whole. :(

I will try to use the reduction tools Clintonman and Emmanuel mentioned to see if I can shrink things down even more to get my model size under this "threshold".(the point where the whole model is not able to be rendered as a whole)

Am I way off in this or does this seem to be reality? :|
I guess what I am ultimately looking for is a parameter to go by. Some number I can keep an eye on so I don't go beyond that.

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

With a layer turned off I think the renderer doesn't consider the objects in it so that's fewer polys, textures, and such. Maybe you could use layering to create your image in separate components to be blended in Photoshop into the final product.

Of course the correct solution to the problem is to use other software that can handle this. At least export the model to render in something else.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.