wireless router question

Technical questions, etc..
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: wireless router question

Post by spacekdet »

This is why I braved the spiders and made the long belly crawl under the house with Cat-5 cable clenched in my teeth.
There's almost always a way to fish a wire where you want it.
(But if your router is already wireless this post is pointless)

Good Luck!

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Cool thanks spacekdet.

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by jeffroig »

I use wireless in my house to connect my laptop and my wife's laptop to the internet. I have 5 desktops that are in a render farm that all directly wired through a switch and then into the wireless router. I am able to send over the files to the server via wireless.
If the computer that's going in your basement is going to stay in one place and not get moved around then you are better off running cable if you can do it without causing too much destruction to the walls or floor. If you are moving to an area that is heavily populated check and see with your laptop how many wireless connections you can find around you. There are only so many frequencies that are available and you can end up with some cross talk going on if there are a lot of wireless connections in your neighborhood.
1) Will the computer be moved around?
2) If not then go wired, if yes then wireless is needed.
3) If wireless is needed, then do a site analysis with your laptop and see how many wireless networks you find in your area.
4) If you find very few wireless networks you should have no problem.
5) If you find several wireless networks in your area then, use a upper channel to prevent cross talk and always secure the router with a WEP key.

This may help you in making the right decision for your location.

BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Hi jeffroig,

I agree with everything except WEP! This is known since several years as a relatively unsecure encryption algorythm, that can be hacked in a second.

I can recommend to use WPAII or at least the older standard WPA only.

Best Regards
-BM.

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thank you for the info jeff!
Dang Booxie you know your networking stuff! :)

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by jeffroig »

Froo,
You are welcome.
Booxie, you are correct with the security piece, I just checked my router it is WPA that I use not WEP.
I am still using a Wireless B router, I know it is out of date but it works and as they say why fix something thats not broken.

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

hehe say, I do believe mine is also a LinkSys wireless-B style router. It's a dual mode: LAN cable / wireless.
So far I have not used the wireless part though. Maybe in a couple weeks! :bananacheers: