How to Model and Texture a Human Head and Body

First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

How to Model and Texture a Human Head and Body

Post by First Light »

Greetings,

Justin Barret (nowherebrain), a famililar and gifted trueSpace expert to many long-time users, created a series of tutorials showing how to model and texture a human head and body. He created two version of his training course: (1) a trueSpace version featuring the Workspace Side of trueSpace 7.51 and (2) a Blender version. This gives you a side-by-side comparison of how to do the same thing with these two very different programs and it may give experienced trueSpace users some additional insight into Blender.

Formerly these training courses were only available to paying customers. But Justin has generously offered them for free and you can download them both at the Scattered Pixel webpage at the True-Source Shop ("Scattered Pixel" is the name of Justin's former website).

Best regards, First Light
Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: How to Model and Texture a Human Head and Body

Post by Karthogen »

Is anyone else having issues with this tutorial? When I pull it up all I get is audio.
First Light

Post by First Light »

Karthogen wrote:Is anyone else having issues with this tutorial? When I pull it up all I get is audio.
Hi Karthogen,

In response to your post I tested the first download and it worked fine. Here's what I did:
  • Downloaded the high resolution version of Part 1 of the "Modeling a Head" course (65.4 MB file: "pt1_some_basic_shape_HI.zip").
  • Unzipped the avi file using WinZip 11.1.
  • Played the avi file (pt1 some basic shape_HI.avi) with Windows Media Player 11.0 under Windows XP.
I'm not presently a Blender user so I don't plan to download any more parts of this course. But I hope this one test helps.

Best regards, First Light
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

if the tutorials is an avi, i assume that can it be a codec problem.
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

Hmm...

That is odd, I did the smae thing, Douwnladed the Zip, extract it and load in media player and sound is fine but no video. If I go to properties in Media player it thinks it is an audio file.

I only have winzip version 9 and media player 9 so I will try it at home with Media player 11 and see what happens.
Jack Edwards

Post by Jack Edwards »

You can use this app to find out what the codec is:
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com
DanX

Post by DanX »

You could download DivX Pro 7 and DivX converter 30 day demo then just drag and drop the file into the converter and you will be surprised what can be fixed after bad compression has been done to a video file.
http://www.divx.com/en/win
It cant fix bad video clips but it can fix bad compression and codec problems.
Bill_214
Marine

Post by Bill_214 »

Prodigy wrote:if the tutorials is an avi, i assume that can it be a codec problem.
That's correct. this is most certainly a codec problem.

It's my experience this happens occasionally with some video files... I have several solutions. Some of this might be off-topic but it's relevant to playback problems some are having with .avi files here.

Use VLC player from VideoLan to play .avi files. (freeware) It's the best player to run .avi files whether they're on the divx or xvid codec, and please note that there are several incarnations of each. I prefer .avi files for video and I also prefer the xvid codec. You want to make sure that the xvid codec you have is the official one from xvid.org as some of the others are defective. One sign you have a defective codec is when you try to open an .avi and it crashes.

If you have the official codec and you still have problems such as only one audio channel working, no audio, no video, etc you can try running the .avi file through a program called VirtualDub (freeware) or one of it's other incarnations VirtualDubMod or VirtualDub-MPG2 (also freeware). If you go this route be aware that there's a slight learning curve (not nearly as tough as Blender or trueSpace though) and the easiest setting is just "fast recompress"... this usually fixes audio/video problems as have been described for these tutorials.

If all else fails (and try those things first) you can repair the file using freeware such as DivFixx++ or running through another freeware program AlltoAVI which converts most video formats to .avi ... I've had good luck using it for repairing .avi files as well. the program wasn't designed for that but I just use the damaged .avi as the input as you would another files such as an. flv (flash) or an .mpg and "convert" as usual. Note that a better tool for converting/editing .mpgs is VirtualDub and that VirtualDubMod will work with .mkv files as well.

Again, please make sure you have the official xvid codec installed rather than on from a codec pack as your first "fix" attempt. If you ave a proprietary video file conversion program I would imagine you could also use one of those however I can't address that as I use freeware because it works for me.

I actually also use Media Player Classic for certain types of files but for .avi, VLC player works best if you like to start/stop/skip ahead and such.

Much of this is also relaxant to .mpg file problems although I use either Media Player Classic or the Windows Media Player for those as VLC's Player tends to have problems with .mpgs when you skip around a lot.

Hope this helps.
nowherebrain
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by nowherebrain »

Not sure how relevant this still is or if there are still interested parties, but, I generally use Xvid for all m y compression, so just about any mp4 such as divx codec, ffdshow, or another good bet is VLC media player....any of these "I assume" will get the job done....I hope some of you are enjoying and learning from these....ATM I am busy with a new game project and have not so much time....
best regards,
-Justin Barrett