How about one for installing RSX plugins?

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

How about one for installing RSX plugins?

Post by BNG »

Okay, this much I can explain: To load an RSX plugin in Truespace 7.6 you click on the plugin (click and hold to expand the menu icon panel) icon located in the short floaty tool bar on the lower right hand corner of the TS workspace.

When the Package Manager pops up you right click and select Install.

In the dialog window locate and select the RSX you want to install and hit Open.

To load the plugin right click the plugin entry and select Load.

I guess this is how it's supposed to be done, but where's the tool bar?

The only RSX plugin that I see is the Turbosquid tool bar.

I installed a couple of Clintons RSX plugins, but have yet to see any tool bar or new button to actually use them.

These were installed to TS 7.6 as the 7.61 version has no plugin button to load an RSX to 7.61. Could someone post a tutorial on how to install an RSX plugin to the 7.61 Standalone Beta? Thanks.
froo
Captain

Re: How about one for installing RSX plugins?

Post by froo »

That is the correct process BNG.
Can you specify which of clinton's plugins you have tried loading?
It is possible he did not create a toolbar for the plugins you are
mentioning. That would explain why you do not see them.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

BNG wrote:the 7.61 version has no plugin button to load an RSX to 7.61. Could someone post a tutorial on how to install an RSX plugin to the 7.61 Standalone Beta? Thanks.
tS761 Standalone should have the Package Manager button as well. If not there is an option to Reset most toolbars by selecting the small triangle to the right of the toolbar and select Reset.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

trueBlue wrote:
BNG wrote:the 7.61 version has no plugin button to load an RSX to 7.61. Could someone post a tutorial on how to install an RSX plugin to the 7.61 Standalone Beta? Thanks.
tS761 Standalone should have the Package Manager button as well. If not there is an option to Reset most toolbars by selecting the small triangle to the right of the toolbar and select Reset.
So by default 7.61 does not show this plugin icon or the short floaty tool bar like 7.6 does. I have Clintons FBX exporter as well as his ASE exporter. I tried installing them to both 7.6 and 7.61 but I don't see them anywhere? Also, where do RSX plugins normally go? The older versions of Truespace had a special folder called TSX where plugins normally went. 7.6 has this folder for TS 6 plugins but the workspace side of 7.6 is rather odd at not having a similar folder labelled something like RSX etc.

I've yet to find 7.6 or 7.61 very user friendly like the original Truespace user interface. The PDF manual doesn't cover squat about RSX plugins that I've found. Some usage tutorials for 7.6 and 7.61 would certaintly help get more model makers using the newer version of Ttruespace. As it stands now most people I've talked with steer clear of it due to it's odd user interface. Thanks, BNG.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Hi BNG.
There is no 'RSX' folder.
When you load a plugin, you navigate to the folder in which it resides.
The folder in which it resides can be anything you want.
You can, for example, place the plugin in a folder called:
"Y:\dodo"
and navigate to that folder, and select the plugin located in that folder.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

BNG wrote:
trueBlue wrote:
So by default 7.61 does not show this plugin icon or the short floaty tool bar like 7.6 does. I have Clintons FBX exporter as well as his ASE exporter. I tried installing them to both 7.6 and 7.61 but I don't see them anywhere? Also, where do RSX plugins normally go? The older versions of Truespace had a special folder called TSX where plugins normally went. 7.6 has this folder for TS 6 plugins but the workspace side of 7.6 is rather odd at not having a similar folder labelled something like RSX etc.

I've yet to find 7.6 or 7.61 very user friendly like the original Truespace user interface. The PDF manual doesn't cover squat about RSX plugins that I've found. Some usage tutorials for 7.6 and 7.61 would certaintly help get more model makers using the newer version of Ttruespace. As it stands now most people I've talked with steer clear of it due to it's odd user interface. Thanks, BNG.
It does show the plugin icon by default as far as I know, unless you have installed the unofficial patch which makes 1 toolbar at the bottom instead of 2. If the toolbar is missing you can try changing to a different layout to kind of reset the toolbars. Can you post a screen shot showing the missing toolbar?
RSX plugins go wherever you want them to go. I usually just add an RSX folder to truespace and put them there.
The FBX and ASE exporters use a combination of plugin and scripts. Installing the rsx only installs the plugin portion. The next step is to use the script object to install the toolbar and the ui scripts. The ase should have a "install ASE Export Button v1.5.RsObj" that you load into the link editor and run. Looking at the page I think maybe you didn't click on the title to get the RsObj script.
I just reviewed the fbx page and in the "Downloads and Installation Notes". Step 3 isn't needed anymore, but you still have to run the installer script to get the toolbar and button.
The scripts were made for 7.61 and 7.61std so they won't run on 7.6. The plugin installs but you need the scripts to complete the installation.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

It does show the plugin icon by default as far as I know, unless you have installed the unofficial patch which makes 1 toolbar at the bottom instead of 2. If the toolbar is missing you can try changing to a different layout to kind of reset the toolbars. Can you post a screen shot showing the missing toolbar?
RSX plugins go wherever you want them to go. I usually just add an RSX folder to truespace and put them there.
The FBX and ASE exporters use a combination of plugin and scripts. Installing the rsx only installs the plugin portion. The next step is to use the script object to install the toolbar and the ui scripts. The ase should have a "install ASE Export Button v1.5.RsObj" that you load into the link editor and run. Looking at the page I think maybe you didn't click on the title to get the RsObj script.
I just reviewed the fbx page and in the "Downloads and Installation Notes". Step 3 isn't needed anymore, but you still have to run the installer script to get the toolbar and button.
The scripts were made for 7.61 and 7.61std so they won't run on 7.6. The plugin installs but you need the scripts to complete the installation.
Thanks, so if I uninstall the Standalone Beta 8 version will that also remove the unoffcial patch too? I'd love to try both the ASE and FBX exporters if I can figure out how to get things installed correctly.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

BNG wrote:
Thanks, so if I uninstall the Standalone Beta 8 version will that also remove the unoffcial patch too? I'd love to try both the ASE and FBX exporters if I can figure out how to get things installed correctly.
No need to uninstall the unofficial patch. Since I now know you are using the patch here's a picture of where the plugin manager is on mine.
pluginToolbar.jpg
If you see any of the icons in that column then that's where it is. Don't forget any one of those icons could be the one showing. The last thing you did in the column is what shows before it expands.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Wow, I found the missing tool bars near the bottom of the workspace. I had to expand the lowest grab bar and left click drag it up to see the hidden tool bars; for some reason my tool bars are locked and unmovable by left click drag. Is there a way to make them movable?

However, I see no Command Promt icon so the plugin icon is not accessible along with the other icons associated with it. How can I fix this?

Update: Silly me it was there only I was confused as the 3D Window icon threw me off; I expanded it and found the plugin manager icon in the stack. Thanks, for the assist. Hopefully, my dilema will help other Rosettastone users too. BNG.

Update: Apparently, in order to see the above mentioned tool bar one has to select the Expanded tab otherwise it won't be displayed at all in other views like default, 4 view, or Floating; least that's the way it works on my install.

Some additional information needs to be added in terms of how to display newly installed RSX plugin generated tool bar panels, import export dialog panels, and new icon buttons.

Also, an explanation of what actually happens when one clicks on an new rsobj file. I see activity when I double click on such files and TS 7.61 opens up, but I see nothing different in the workspace to display what was just installed. So the question is...what do I do next to see and use what was just installed?

Reference: In the old TS plugin method a new icon button was created to access say a plugin,however, in Rosettastone this is apparently different and the typically expected new icon button is not clearly visible. Where is it and how does one access it? Citation requested if possible for other 7.61 model makers. BNG.
Attachments
The panel is apparently hidden by default. The tool bars are also fixed in place and unmovable.
The panel is apparently hidden by default. The tool bars are also fixed in place and unmovable.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Okay, here's a bit more FYI for other Rossettastone modelers trying to figure things out about RSX plugins, and how to access them using the Link Editor Interface in 7.61; sorry but I seem to be answering some of my own questions via Bump N Go methodogy and random web searching, so this is basically a crude 7.61 RSX install and usage tutorial in the making.

Anyways, here we go.... Once you click on an RSXOBJ and install it you won't see anything obvious when 7.61 starts up. Fear not the file did indeed install but is accessible in the same column of icons as the RSX plugin icon. Now to access the LE Window icon left click and hold it while selecting the LE Window icon and let go of the left mouse button and the LE window will magically appear in the workspace. You should now see your installed RSOBJ file displayed in the open window. If you've installed quite a few of them you may not be able to see them all or move them in the window. Fear not as you can right click in the window and activate another feature where the objects in the window change form slightly and become movable via left click drags; there's also another set of rectangles visible that can be used to moved the open window itself. PS: Objects dispalyed in the window can be moved around to organize and line up things in the window too. BNG :worship:
Attachments
This image shows the LE icon, the installed RSOBJ's, the set of retangle move thingies, and a displayed ASE exporter dialog window.
This image shows the LE icon, the installed RSOBJ's, the set of retangle move thingies, and a displayed ASE exporter dialog window.