Tutorial on how to apply Normal Maps and export them

simmsman4
Petty Officer Third Class

Tutorial on how to apply Normal Maps and export them

Post by simmsman4 »

Hi all,

I've been tryin to work on this for little over year now and still can't seem to fully get the hang of it.

What I am trying to do is apply a normal map to my model along with the texture map. Then export both the texture and the normal map out into .x format and have the .x file and texture files exported.

Is there anyone out there that can do a video tutorial that just shows the basic's of applyin a brick texture along with a normal of it and then export it. If you could maybe even display the correct way to apply a parallax map too. Skip the parts of making a normal map or parallax map for I already know how too. Useful you wish!

My over all goal is to give some pop to my models for my game engine Realm Crafter, also any others I might use down the road. Making the walls come more to life either with adding a normal map or parallax map to them

the engine calls for this
Texture Channel 1:Diffuse
Texture Channel 2:Normal Map (also should contain height map stored in alpha channel if you plan on using parallax mapping)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg27 ... rooom1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can also check out my other works at photobucket.com user simmsman4

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/simmsman4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this would be a very big help if somebody would be willing to help out..

thank you
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Tutorial on how to apply Normal Maps and export them

Post by trueBlue »

Using Workspace
Load the TextureBump D3D Material into the Material Editor.
Ctrl Left mouse button select the DiffuseTexture to add your texture.
Switch to the Bump aspect. (See Capture.png)
Ctrl Left mouse button select the NormalTexture to add your texture.
Appy your material to your object.
With your object selected and from the File Menu select Save.
From the Save As Type combo control select the X File Export files. (See Capture1.png)
You will be presented with the options to export with. (See Capture2.png)
Select the Export button.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
simmsman4
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: Tutorial on how to apply Normal Maps and export them

Post by simmsman4 »

Thank you,

Although I learned that if u click and hold on default it does a drop down for bump. Would have never seen that one. I still export 2 files in the directory called file_0 and file _1.. Although not the biggest problem I have. I load them into photoshop and they are the texture and normal map just named different.

Yet when I load the new export model into something like fragmotion. It list file placed on the model which is the texture and never loads the normal.

Thanks for sharing your info and many thanks for it. Learning the drop down from the word default was a nice plus.

I would still like somebody to create a brick texture then a normal map of it place it on a cube. plane a single face, then export that texture file and normal map into .x
then export it out keeping names of texture/normal fles same and not file_0 or file_1...

I'm sure it's a pretty basic thing, just I've yet to find 1 tutorial about it based on new TS version.
but your in editor tutorial did work.. this is what I got which don't mind lighting etc..
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg27 ... maltry.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saved it and like said files named wrong and other software only read 1 file assigned to mesh, which was the texture