Robot Head

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Robot Head

Post by jeffroig »

Here is a new image, you will notice the addition of 2 new joints in the legs.
This will be changing once again as the hip joints will get changed from twist to lean.
Also the feet have changed to look like shoes and have a little more weight/stability to them.
IMG_20180923_070557.jpg
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Evidently, the Robot has a fondness for M&Ms. With adaptable limbs and shoes, it could be an interchangeable enterprise. Skiis, skates and perhaps even Crocs for downtime moments. :bananamouse:

Looking good!
Walk by faith, not by sight.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Oddly enough I actually designed some skates, will take like 12 hours each to print but once he is up and walking the way I want will be trying this.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Okay so here is the new and improved robot that has the hip joints changed to lean. I also redesigned the main body/chest so that the servos for the hips would be inside the body and not attached on the outside. This reduced the total height by about 10mm which is great as it give it more stability. The walk cycle does well but after some testing have found that the Thigh and knee pivot brackets need to be extended by about 5mm to give the leg more freedom and a faster walking gait.
New servo Layout.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

He/She looks awesome!
I would hide the exposed wires.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Thank you Steinie.
Wires will be hidden to some degree. This is just a proof of concept/ prototype for the larger one that will be done.
Did redesign the pivot brackets and found that 5mm was not enough had to go with 10 but only the thigh brackets needed changed.
The walk cycle is better but still not exactly what I want, just not smooth enough yet. Walks well on a smooth surface but carpet is hit or miss.
Will post a new picture soon.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

I am still working on this little guys walking gait.
The biggest problem I have is the coding, in Arduino you change a value and then upload the code for each servo.
This becomes very time consuming and you are guessing to some degree as to the angle of movement.
I took some time and wrote some software in .NET that interfaces with the arduino via serial and allows me to be very interactive(Live) with the servos.
So now I can move a slider and see results right away and save the position.
My idea is to design the walking gait using this software and then when satisfied export the positions out and create the code around them.
I might even set it up to export out the code for each servos position so all I have to do is copy and paste it into the Arduino IDE and upload it.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

would be awesome if you could use BHV mocap file and transfer it into servos :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)