Beach Bum BoB

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Beach Bum BoB

Post by jeffroig »

Sorry I forgot to add I use TrueSpace 6.6, I tried 7.6 and I didnt like all the extra stuff in it or the extra amount of HD space it takes up.
3dfrog
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by 3dfrog »

That looks like a great program to create morph targets with. I just have no idea how you are applying the morphs with morph targets in ts. Are you using a plugin for that? I don't see any native options there.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

You have to export it out as an OBJ from Argile and then bring it in to TS.
The morphs will be attached to the object through the Hierachy and allow you to adjust them.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

What would a beach bum be without a starfish. Here is a sample of a starfish, it doesnt use any bones to move, its all done with morph targets. Take a look, I will in the hopefully near future put together a tutorial on how to use morph targets. Until then please be patient and continue to ask your questions, I will be happy to answer. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmcAXK_xCbU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmcAXK_xCbU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

So can this Starfish Morph and have a walk cycle at the same time?
Was that the technique for the bouncing belly?
Can this Morph be used with the new bone system or old?
You've got my interest!!! :bananacheers:
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

I am not sure if I included this information in any of my previous posts, so I thought I might share this information.
Beach bum bob took about 3 1/2 hours to design and the reason why: I have created a vast library of body parts in all sizes and shapes and I have base models that I developed that I work from, while each face/head is designed from scratch I will re-use body parts, legs, arms, torso, feet etc... and just resize them or sculpt them to fit the character. For years I designed everything from scratch and each character was a whole new model. Then I found that I was repeating myself in most occasions and decided to create a library of parts from characters I had previously designed. This method saves time and my work flow is much better. I would suggest that you do the same as it will save a lot of time in the end.
The star fish took less than an hour to design and animate, how hard is it to take a sphere and pull points and then squash to create the desired look.
I am also looking for people to help out with a project, if you are interested you can email me at jeffroig@yahoo.com or just post a reply here.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Hey Steine,
The starfish walks by using morphs and not a bone system as this creates a more fluid motion to the animation. The belly on Bob is set so that when the hip sways one way it goes down while the other way it goes up. The morphs work in TS 6.6, I am not sure about other versions as I have not tried it.
Mr. 3d

Post by Mr. 3d »

Someone get BoB a beer !!! :bananacool2:
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Someone throw one in the garbage can so he can get it.
3dfrog
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by 3dfrog »

A tutorial on 6.6 morphs with morph targets would be great! I still have no idea how you are doing it. I downloaded the argile software trial, man thats some cool software!!!