A New Character is Born

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: A New Character is Born

Post by jeffroig »

Here is the latest design of the character.
Attachments
Badger2.jpg
Badger.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

The Bling on top of the Company Logo is terrible, I cannot read it. Are they asking you to have both?
I would ditch the t-shirt logo and just have the "CW" show however I would also make it much larger. The eyes are still weird. The sleeves appear too tight to the skin. The teeth look human and not animal and the ears are not pronounced (as stated before by Breech I think). The head coloring does not match the body which looks more like a squirrel body to me. Looking at the front view that you show here the head shape is circular where the viewer cannot make out the ears, cheeks etc. I would pull out the cheeks so the head has more character. ( He looked ok from the side)
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

They are wanting both the T-Shirt logo and the Bling on the necklace.
Are the eyes looking weird due to the shinny spot on them from the lights or is it just the pupil itself that is too large.
I asked them about teeth and thought that it would be good to have some jagged edges on the teeth but their reply was no we want a smooth look, so once again I was shot down.
Here is a picture of a real badger, after looking better at it his ears should be a little larger and more rounded almost like a small version of Mickey Mouse ears.
I am going to darken the body fur more to match the head better.
The dark stripes on the head fade as they go into the body from a black to a dark gray.
I will pull the cheeks out and see what it looks like from there.
Attachments
badger1.jpg
badger1.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Making progress Jeff.
Regarding the trouble with the eyes:
In Badger1.jpg, I think the big shine is causing the creepiness.
In Badger2.jpg, the smile has a 'mad scientist' type look to it, as well.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Overall he looks pretty good but some things "need fixin'".

Since the character is not nice and says sarcastic things he should not look nice.

Eyes: Too much shine as Froo said. To me, the eye problem was the shape and is the 1000 yard stare. The shape is better now and I'm sure animation and expressions will add life to it. Real badger has a very focused intense gaze. Originally, the eye shape was too open, surprised, hypnotized. Also probably something that expressions will fix later but the eyes don't look like they are focused on anything. Their "sight lines" look parallel instead of focusing on an object of interest like the TV viewer.

Fur: I see that the real badger's distinct stripes are just on/around his head but that his body is not monotone. There are subdued color areas and his paws and lower legs are a dark color. He has coarse fur. The current character's body fur is too different from his head. At least make the body fur like the lighter head fur in color and texture. Preferably add the coarseness and leg and subdued colors. I think the head stripe are a little too dark. Less contrast there.

Build: The character (needs a name) is skinny but the real badger is stout. He has a big body (or lots of fur) and proportionally short limbs. Many CG characters are skinny. Maybe making him stout would help with brand identification. He would be different than many CG mascots.

Bling: Make the bling and shirt logo much bigger. Make the necklace longer so the "CW" doesn't block the logo.

Real badger has a snout. Character has a more human flat face. Maybe add some snout for a profile shape.

They have big claws right?

Of course this character should be a character and not a realistic badger so maybe think "caricature" exaggerate the things that visually identify a badger and that give him personality in a cartoony way. The things that say "badger" to me are: fur markings, stout body, short limbs, big claws, focused gaze, coarse fur, snout, teeth.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Here is the newest sample image, you will notice the eye highlights have changed. The hand are now black and fade into the fur which is slightly darker. Sleeves on the shirt have been relaxed. The cheeks have been protruded and the ears are slightly larger and rounder.
Attachments
CW Badger.jpg
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

It's looking quite good. =) What program/s are you doing this all in? How was the rigging? But quite a funky little dude=)
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Modeled in TS 4.3 then sculpted in Argile and Textured in Argile and PhotoShop then imported into Poser to do rigging and morph targets.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

LOL! Very funky!