Just don't get it

DabblingDan
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Just don't get it

Post by DabblingDan »

Hope someone can take a few minutes and give me sugestions on how to model a suit jacket. I've tried several things but am getting no where. I need those "V" shape lapels with one side overlapping the other. This is probably perfectly obivious but I just can't seem to figure out how to approach this.
I am working in Workspace. The body doesn't need to move so I can go with modeling directly on the body or creating a "shell" over the body. I can't seem to think inside or outside of the box to get anything close.
Thanks for any suggestions.
-D-
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Just don't get it

Post by Steinie »

You want this?
Attachments
Lapels.jpg
Lapels.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

I would be happy to help, but need a little more info. model side or Workspace?

how are you atempting it? Extrude? Morph? Cloth? etc...
DabblingDan

Post by DabblingDan »

Steine – yes, that is what I need.

Karthogen –
I am working with Workspace at the moment. I have not looked into cloth or morph. I am attempting to put a jacket on what is basically a cylindrical body.
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Hmm...

with workspace I am still a little under par.

But one thing came to mind and there is probably a better way.

If you take and model the color seperately to fit where you want on the jacket itself. Move it to the appropriate location and then weld the geometry together where it would meet the jacket. This may take some tweaking to make it look right but should work.
DabblingDan

Post by DabblingDan »

Karthogen wrote:Hmm...

with workspace I am still a little under par.

But one thing came to mind and there is probably a better way.

If you take and model the color seperately to fit where you want on the jacket itself. Move it to the appropriate location and then weld the geometry together where it would meet the jacket. This may take some tweaking to make it look right but should work.
Thanks. Unfortunately not sure how to apply the suggestion. I am not "wed" to Workspace if model side will work better. How would you approach it on the model side?
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Well you can do it in at least two ways in workSpace. One way is to start with a simple
cylinder and modify it's shape by using the "add edges", "select edges" and the delete key.
This will create actual geometry. The scene I'm showing would be a wip with lot of work left to
do. If you want to become good at modeling this is the suggested way.

The second way is to just just fake the geometry using textures like I did in my Gangster Lawn Service
WIP scene.
Quick and dirty.
http://united3dartists.com/forum/do ... &mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
LapelsTest1_00069.jpg
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Steinies idea sounds probablly the easiest.

If you post a pick of the scene, seeing the context may stimulate some more ideas
DabblingDan

Post by DabblingDan »

Steinie -
Thanks, that make sense to me, now. I will attempt the modeling approach. I appreciate the help. In the past I have painted, sculpted and done puppet animation (ancient history using a super 8 camera) but can't seem to wrap my head - and then my mouse - aroun 3d modeling. I obviously have no innate talent in this area.
So, again, thanks.
-D-
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

DabblingDan. I let the computer worry about the 3d part now. Just learn the tools and what they can do for you. trueSpace allows people with very little artistic skills to create visuals they could never do on paper/canvas. 3D just takes time to learn and dedication but worth the effort by the results you see here.