Space Navigator 3d mouse installation help

carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Space Navigator 3d mouse installation help

Post by carlpatti »

Happy Friday afternoon!
I am the very happy owner of a new 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3d mouse - a gift for my upcoming birthday.
I have carefully researched how to install software and thanks to Senior Chief Petty Officer First Light I was put on the right path to success through his fantastic FAQ addressing exactly this subject - http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=39&t=297
I have downloaded the 3dxtruespace plugin and have that ready to go. I was worried that when I install this I might encounter problems. But I have encountered a problem before this installation step.
I first followed the written instructions that came with the 3d mouse. I assumed - I hope correctly - that I needed to install the cd software first and it suggested that I check for updated software at the 3dconnexion webpage. As instructed, I downloaded a file - 3DxSoftwarePE_v3-7-18.exe
I assumed that this software needed to be installed before the 3dxtruespace plugin.
First, I shut down the computer. I plugged in the 3d mouse, before installing the software according to the instructions, and then restarted, double-clicked the .exe file I downloaded and clicked "next" a few times. The installation step warned that it might take a few minutes - which it did - but it just looked ALL WRONG - it kept flashing the same steps over and over again - I can't really say what I was reading because it was going by so fast - but the steps were going around and around in a cycle - removing files - pub..prod..info.. (sorry could not read it...)- and a few other steps - again just cycling over and over. At the end of each cycle - 30 sec. each, maybe, all the desktop icons would flash and the cycle would start over again. I panicked and hit cancel. Maybe I shouldn't have canceled but this was not like any installation I have seen before.
Now I am completely lost as to what to do next. ANY help is very much appreciated!
I am using a Dell XPS 420 with Vista - anything else you need to know? As a long-time Mac user I am very new to the PC world and also new to Truespace.
Thanks,
Patti (carlpatti)
carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Space Navigator 3d mouse installation help

Post by carlpatti »

Hi again, :bananahi:

It is now a day and a half later and no one has responded. :cry: Please... any suggestions would be very welcome. I have very little experience installing anything on a pc. I am not really asking for Space Navigator help - just advice installing software on a pc. No obligation - I promise I won't be mad if a suggestion doesn't work - I'll be happy to know I am not alone out here in cyberspace. I would even love a response telling me you don't have a clue. Or offering a cyber-hand to hold while I do something stupid to try to get this mouse working.

I have really enjoyed reading the posts of the original trueSpace Community Forum members discussing using the Space Navigator with trueSpace - I want to join the fun! :superbanana:

Thanks,
Patti
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I don't know much of it, but do you need to repair your registry or something like that, just using free programs, sometimes that happen because you just finished the installation in the middle and she don't delete the registry files before close, I'm not sure but your discourse about cyber-space touched me and I feel that I need to help you :lol:

Hope you can install it! Try to enter in the technical support of the product!

Edit: Do you tried to reinstall it again? Maybe it's just something simple... Try to reinstall it first, and tell me which message is popping up or if all runs ok... ;)
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Post by carlpatti »

:bananalove: :bananatyping: :bananahi: :bananathumb:
all the happy bananas are singing and smiling and holding cyber-hands!

Yes - leonregis - I tried the install again. I had to walk away from the computer because it was doing the same thing - cycling over and over, not getting anywhere. Over 10 minutes went by but FINALLY it worked! And the icing on the cake - the rest of the install went perfectly, thanks to First Light's instructions and your very appreciated cyber-hand.

Now on to an afternoon of learning to use this mouse. As others have noted, too bad it does not rotate the object. It is still really cool!!! My fantastic family all chipped in to buy it for me. What a great, modern world...

Thanks again so much for your help. Someday I may be able to answer some other member's question... someday...
Patti
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Great to you!!! :superbanana:

Send some feedback about the mouse, I want to buy too... :)

Cya
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I have already offered to pay Frootee to write a plugin for this device to
work properly when modeling. It works the right way with MOI and I think it
works properly on the Model side using another plugin but the workSpace side is not right.
First person navigational behavior is for navigation not modeling, the focus should be on the model itself.
I want to be able to rotate the model, not rotate around the model.

I already wrote a letter to 3DConnexion about their drivers and how they were written for
truePlay and not trueSpace. No answer.

Frootee...????

Great to hear your device is working now Carlpatti
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Good point Steinie, I did not know that. Froo be sure that if I buy this mouse I'll buy your plugin too ;) , news about the changes at the blender fluids import plugin?
carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Post by carlpatti »

Hi Leonregis and Steinie,
I have been sick - sorry I did not respond - too much fun and too many doctors for my birthday... yuck...
Yes, Steinie, I agree, 3D mouse is really only for navigation. Too bad - TrueSpace could use a hand in rotating objects while modeling.
And so Leonregis, I can't recommend for modeling in TrueSpace, maybe okay for animation.
3D mouse IS however, FANTASTIC fun in Google Earth. I cannot believe how fast I can navigate the globe. :bananacool2:
Thanks Steinie for pursuing object rotation help with 3D Connexion. I will go to their site tomorrow morning and ask for the same thing. Also, I would LOVE to help pay Frootee to write a plugin.
And thanks Leonregis for the courage last week - just a little push telling me to "DO IT!"
Patti
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks for the feedback Patti, I'll put it well below in my list of investments :D
I did nothing. I really wish that I could help, but I can just give some psychological support... ;)

Thanks
Cya
carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Post by carlpatti »

it worked for me leonregis :bananathumb:
I am using 3d mouse right now. I keep trying to find a way to use it for object rotation but there is nothing that will work. So close yet so far...
This mouse will be so fantastic when I learn how to animate in TrueSpace. Why wait? I think I will play around with the few objects I have made so far and get started animating!
Patti