Texturing - will it be exported?

compPanda
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Texturing - will it be exported?

Post by compPanda »

Hi

I am planning on trying to make some models of houses for the game Trainz using Truespace. This means exporting to 3DS to be able to import them in Gmax and from that export to Trainz (if I have understand this correctly).

Now to my question - if I texture the object in Truespace, will these textures be transfered to Gmax in my 3DS export? Or is this just a wast of time and will I be forced to redo it in Gmax?
Jack Edwards
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: Texturing - will it be exported?

Post by Jack Edwards »

The UVs should transfer. You'll probably want to apply GMax materials anyway once you get it into GMax. So just make sure that you don't use decals or any TS specific materials.

I think this is a common issue that many users have when switching between programs. Each program has it's own Materials which are specific to the render engine that the program uses. So unless the program you are exporting to uses the same render engine, there's really no use in exporting the materials.

UV mappings and texture maps on the other hand are useful though. Once you've done your UV mapping and painted your texture bitmaps in a 2D or 3D paint program, it's usually not that much work to simply re-apply them in the other application.

This is all about workflows. Really if you know the final destination for your work, then it would make sense to do the materials work targeting the destination application or format.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Texturing - will it be exported?

Post by marcel »

I don't know Max but i use export from TS to Wirefusion. i use the old format VRML from the modelside. maps are imported in Wirefusion exactly as i can see in TS. Maybe there is a another solution for your problem. My solution was to create a folder, do the scene with only jpg from this folder and put the scene in the same folder before imported it. you can see the import in the picture. It is a realtime shot in Wirefusion. UV map are exactly what i see in TS even if i duplicate the map on the objects.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr