Creating frosted glass.

Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Creating frosted glass.

Post by Karthogen »

Thank you for the clarification on the adaptive Anti-aliasing. I may hve to try some renders with both and compare.

For the poly count, Any specific areas or changes you would make to lower the poly count? I beleive teh shade itself has like 3 layers of SDS that may account for some of that but, I was just fooling around with it to give it a raised surface. But any modeling tips would be greatly appreciated, because I have noticed that I do have probably a lot of extra geometry that is not needed. and I think I rely to much on SDS that could increase that.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

I just edited the previous post to add a link to a lamp I made (object and texture image available there ... which has a zillion polys) with a good shade and a pic of the material settings.

The non-SDS parts (from memory, I already deleted the scene file) were mostly simple cylinders etc. They had a lot of polys too. They don't need that. Simple shapes usually don't need SDS if that was on them. You can change the attributes of the primitives to give enough sides to look good but not too many. Right click on the primitive's icon before or just after making one to get a control panel.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
nigec

Post by nigec »

I only use primitives, there's nothing in my gallery with SDS that I can remember, I run a cr*ppy pc so less is more for me lol
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

That makes sense, I have been using SDS instead of just adding additional Faces through the panel to smooth it out. I think I use SDS on Just about everything.
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Finis,

How many lights are in that lamp scene? I think I may be expecting to much from my lights. Is there a way to make one light that would fill the room with enough light showing through the transparent shade? Or maybe I should just be expecting to use more lights to accomplish the same affect.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Mostly things don't work in 3D like they do in the real world. So extra and filler lights and various tricks are usually needed. I'm no expert on that but I'm sure some here will comment.

Lamp scene: There are 2 lights under the shade and 1 or 2 behind the camera. The lights under the shade project the shade texture onto the walls with the transparency map. The outer or top surface of the shade is lit by the room lights. Otherwise it would not be very bright.

If I worked on that scene now I would experiment with texture luminance or another texture layer with translucency to make it bright from the internal lights.

Modelside has light emitting textures. Maybe the shade could use that. The times I've played with that I've had to make it so bright to illuminate the room that the object was just a white silhouette. Slow rendering.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Yeah I originally tried it with the Material light, I realized the internal light with a transparent shade was not enough to light the space. But you are correct, the render time on that was horendous, and it was not worth the time.