Doing scripts and plugins

Jeri3d
Petty Officer Second Class

Doing scripts and plugins

Post by Jeri3d »

Glancing through the script tutorials from the Caligari site it seems that I can do alot with just scripts.

Could I set up digitial or analogue meters connected to certain objects which then tell me how fast something is going, how many rpm or how much force is being exerted when a certain event happens or a condition is reached? I would probably want to set a time interval for when each meter reads for data. I would need to construct the actual meters within TS and use the LE to join things up.

It seems from the Activities chapter that I can make changes to, say the speed of an object, in real time by moving a handle or dial etc.

I would like to feed this data into a database to look at and compare and see in a graph etc. This would show any change in length etc of an object or its parts.

Can all this data side of things be done via the scripts or do I need the TS SDK? If I need the SDK where can I get it as I can't find it. I think it was the Chief Warrant Officer who said something about this in an earlier similar post I did?

I am getting ahead of myself here, but I want to prepare while I'll pick up on how to do my objects (for which I'll prob ask more questions in the forum).
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Doing scripts and plugins

Post by clintonman »

The sdk can be found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.caligari.com/downloads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sdk and scripting documentation is one and the same so if you do just scripting you still need the sdk for reference. I don't know for sure, but I think everything you want to do can be done via scripting.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Jeri3d

Post by Jeri3d »

Thanks for the url. Couldn't find it via the Caligari home page.

In regards to writing scripts etc from the manual I remember it saying that TS (via LE) can operate like a WYSISYG web page design progy where the coding is done for you. I have done intro programming (Pascal, C and Cobol) and have good logical thinking, but not sure if I have the time to really learn C++ or whatever TS uses.

How far can I go with the LE editor in setting up what I described earlier in this thread, including feeding a database?

I wonder if Trueblue's Pop up Panel (the second one, Help) has the abilities like displaying performance figures or maybe its the Manipulator?
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

Jeri3d wrote:...

In regards to writing scripts etc from the manual I remember it saying that TS (via LE) can operate like a WYSISYG web page design progy where the coding is done for you. I have done intro programming (Pascal, C and Cobol) and have good logical thinking, but not sure if I have the time to really learn C++ or whatever TS uses.

I think that's only true for d3d materials and widgets. Truespace uses jscript and vbscript. Jscript structure is similar to C so if you wanted to learn it I don't think it would be difficult for you. Also this page might have some useful information for you:

http://www.truespaceplugins.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

This trueSpace7 plugin made by one of the trueSpace (Awesome) developers might be very useful for your project:
http://www.siprogs.sk/p/iExperimentBoardPage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You might also look at the Labyrinth object in the Activities - My Activities library which uses Excel.
And for an example of a 3D object (Dial) that controls the Wind speed, look at the Wind Tunnel scene in the Scenes - Base library
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Physics data for objects with physical properties
can be directly obtained from the Physics Attributes
node of those objects. You can use the Physics
event, choosing the Peer Collision Event from the dropdown list,
and connect the two objects that you want to test.
For inputs, you need the names of the objects I believe.
There are some example objects/scenes. I have to find them.
But, when the two objects collide, the Physics Event node fires its
Control Out connector. You connect that connector to the Control In
of a jscript command, which then executes the script contained within.

EDIT:

Here we go. :bananacheers:

This file is called phystest5.RsScn.
Load it, open the LE. On the jscript command, 1 node, select the Default tab.
Run the physics simulation by pressing the Start/Stop icon in the bottom of the interface.
It looks like a tire with a blue arrow.
While running, note the bump value, on the jscript command, 1 node.
It increases.

When done watching, stop the simulation.
Note how the interaction between nodes is constructed in the LE.

Enter the jscript command, 1 node
by clicking the orange square. You will see how the stuff works.
Attachments
phystest5.zip
(191.77 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Jeri3d

Post by Jeri3d »

Thanks for all this information. Now I'll concentrate on getting something ready to experiment with while looking at the dial and date stuff on the side. I am finding it a bit awkward to get going with doing objects. I ask something in another post. Once I get a couple of things clear I should be progressing rapidly.
Wigand
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Wigand »

Is there a way to get collision (with script) without physics?
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

What did you have in mind Wigand?
Using physics is simpler. Though I knwo there are some things which don't work.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

I know Johnny used a simple collision in his Cubic and Fighter games.
Have a look at:
Physics.InitCollision(Space.CurrentScene())
Physics.SimpleCollision(System.ThisOwner(),String,true)

String = the object it collides with

Running a Physic's Simulation is not needed in this case.