Is there a simple repair that I'm overlooking?

Start here all your tutorials for Truespace Worskpace Side.
pianodavy
Seaman

Is there a simple repair that I'm overlooking?

Post by pianodavy »

I hope somebody can help me without me having to reinstall my 7.61. Years ago, on earlier versions of truespace, sometimes the program would eventually crash over and over on the start up, preventing the user from ever being able to access the software. An easy fix for this was to delete the truespace.cfg file. Problem is, 7.61 has none. Now to make the problem even weirder, at one point I thought I had erased mine and made one and installed it. It always showed 0 bytes and never accumulated anything (making a truespace.cfg file was simply putting a text file with a .cfg suffix in the appropriate folder). It ran for months - no problem. Then, I had this same problem occur, and in spite of having nothing on that file, after I deleted it - voila - the program started up. Well, here is my dilemna. After the last occurrence I did not replace the truespace.cfg file (keep in mind that I had put it in there without it being in there to begin with). Anyway, now my 7.61 is crashing again. Here is my question. Is there some other file similar to the former truespace.cfg that might be deleted and therefor enable the program to restart? I searched this forum here, but there are thousands and thousands of comments to sift through and quite frankly, I couldn't find anything related to this subject. I greatly appreciate any kind of help anybody might be able to offer.
pianodavy is your friend!
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Is there a simple repair that I'm overlooking?

Post by Draise »

Yes, the "default.ctx" file. All trueSpace 7.61 settings, addons, layouts and even the last saved scene or state - it's stored in those files. It's generally quite large (depending on the complexity). Deleting that - or replacing it with a backup will revert your trueSpace back to normal.

If that doesn't work, your layout may have been corrupted - and if that is the case - delete or replace the "default_layout.rsl" file (but make a backup first). I would only resort to this if the *.ctx file delete or replace doesn't work.

It's good practice to save off *.ctx files often when everything is working - cause every now and then you will loose it all; and if you didn't, you'd have to reinstall all your scripts and redo your layout/libraries when you reset it! (unless you've saved it off as an *.rsl - layout or *.ctx - system file as a backup somewhere!)

And WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! I am happy to help you here - anything - or even if you just want to share would be greatly welcomed and appreciated! Any questions :mrgreen:
pianodavy
Seaman

Post by pianodavy »

My deepest appreciation to you, Sir. You've saved me tons of work, as i'm sure you might have guessed. I know I should be studying Blender with a greater measure of diligence, but I've been using Truespace for so many years that my projects have accumulated beyond what would be reasonable to finish in another application, regardless of Blender's amazing abilities. Especially I want to thank you for your amazingly fast response, it was mercifully effective for me.
pianodavy is your friend!
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

Yeah, I feel you.... trueSpace is my first love, and will always be.... though I have the same outlook to Blender and see it to be, going to be, one of the best free things out there - not to mention the new SSAO, DOF and optimized viewport coming with Gooseberry! I really want to get into it, and I have gotten into it a TINY bit - with sculpting, UV, texture painting and even developing a fake SSS shader for the GLSL viewport - but I would still like to make a whole webseries in trueSpace before saying "goodbye"....