need computer help.

A place where have some extra fun..
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

need computer help.

Post by seppgirty »

O.k. guys.....
I have a computer that has a ssd with the operating system on it and it also has a hdd drive that i have all my pictures, videos, And programs on it.
I know that i can pull the hard drive out , put it into an external case and copy files to another computer. I wanted to know if there is a way i can wipe the ssd without wiping the hdd. I was hoping to NOT have to pull out the hdd.

Some History....
My computer will not fully start up. I have been trying the istructions for win 10 to boot into safe mode.(turning the computer off and on 3 times in a row. Wich is the dumbest F*****g thing in the world.) This is just not working out for me. My computer "broke" while shutting down TS Unofficial beta. "Funny Enough"

There is something in my UEFI menu that mentions ssd safe delete. or something like that. If i use that will it also wipe the hdd?
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
stan

Re: need computer help.

Post by stan »

couldn't you just open the case and unplug the hdd to keep it safe.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Simple just open the case..pull the plug from the hdd and wipe the ssd! You dont have to remove it!
Once you have your computer back ..you can then use your hd!
You just have to tell the computer that it boots from ssd as your primary boot disc in bios and the hd is just additional!
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
that was funny! you typed the same thing simultaniosly! :lol:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

HDD
-- Protect. Like Stan said. Just unplug it.
-- Transfer. Two possibilities no external case needed:
---- 1. Permanent move: install the HDD in the second computer.
---- 2. Copy contents to second computer: temporarily plug the HDD into the second computer, copy, return to original computer.

WIPE SSD
-- If installing a new OS, not an upgrade, select format in the install options.
-- If wiping for privacy and security try https://www.bleachbit.org/features
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

seppgirty

Post by seppgirty »

First off...... Thank you all for your replies.

I just ordered a transfer kit off of amazon. I think i will do a transfer first. Then i will try the {unplug the hdd while keeping the ssd hooked up.} just so i can experience that too.

When i first bought the computer i made a restore disk(thumb drive) But i guess i have to download a windows install? Put it on a thumb drive and install? Then use my recovery disk to install the drivers and bloatware. Does this sound correct? Trying to find a complete video on how todo it.

this is some of the errors i get when it goes through the repair and crash cycle.

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and KERNEL MODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO

Wondering if i'll have to buy another ssd. I hope not... corona took all of my money... lol :roll:
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

I had the Page Fault in non paged area error messages.
Went away after I re-seated all RAM sticks and hard drive cables.
Happy Hunting.
Last edited by spacekdet on 15 Apr 2020, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Politics, no! Bad Dog!
seppgirty

Post by seppgirty »

I had the Page Fault in non paged area error messages.
Went away after I re-seated all RAM sticks and hard drive cables.
Happy Hunting.
I'll give that a try. thanks.

p.s.
i thought the Hillary joke was funny.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

As others say, no need to transfer anything if you need to reinstall.

Btw: to check or to do other stuff when you cannot boot up - its good to have a bootable DVD or a flashdrive with linux (try ubuntu, that is very common).
Point is, that linux install disks dont need to install - they are able to run in "live" mode. So you can boot a usable system just from the DVD without any need to install anything or change anything in your hard drives or PC overall. It just runs from RAM. Just download and burn the DVD or use Rufus tool for creating a bootable USB drive.

If everything in the Linux works with no problems, its not the hardware issue and you just need to reinstall windows. Again use Rufus tool to make a bootable USB drive of Windows which can be downloaded from MS website or burn it on a DVD. Unplug your mechanical drive and just boot the windows installation media. No need to wipe anything. You can format the drive during windows install. After install, you will be able to download your drivers, no need to get them beforehand. Basic things like LAN adapter usually works.

Its always better to hand your PC over to somebody that knows what to do btw :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)