Vidme is Shutting Down

Post by Finis »

The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Vidme is Shutting Down

Post by Draise »

This is terrible news. I was just getting more into it, and enjoyed the experience. I guess a similar model will be the Patreon way.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

This might work for some folks. https://www.bitchute.com/ Looks like free speech is alive there.

I guess I'll have to go to Vimeo. At least until there is suitable alternative. There are things I don't like about it but it looks like a case of 'take the bad with the good'. Especially bad is that a script called storage.google something is necessary to upload. Not only is that an association with evil google but does it mean that the videos are stored on evil google's resources? So I'll probably put my videos there as it is the only stable alternative to youtube that I've found.

Anyone on Vimeo and using noscript? Do you still have to allow evil google things to upload?
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I have started using Dtube with Steemit. I didn't like Bitchute but found Dtube to be the fastest developing and interesting concept for video, even a social network alternative for Facebook. It also has an IPFS like torrent peer to peer like tech for video hosting... and..... you earn cryptocurrency directly for moderating, producing and being a part of the social community and it's content. It's 600,000 people strong so far. And it's transparent. It all is based off a blockchain and very much untied to any corporation.

I'll post an article on it.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

For now it's vimeo for me. The google script and its implications are disturbing but they are everywhere so either get off of the web or sometimes tolerate it.

The company is in New York which means they are guilty until excessively proven innocent of any wickedness you care to think of. Sad that is small time bad compared to google. However, they seem to have less censorship, shadow bans, harassment, etc. than many, they are well established and not going to disappear, they have a viable business model to support the site, they have methods for small films/indies to earn money, they have a large audience and large community of creators, and creators are generally better behaved than on many other sites.
Justini
Marine
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Justini »

It sucks that a site like Vidme couldn't stay afloat. I guess google is going to run everything sooner or later…
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I have hopped on board to D.tube, it's decentralized on the data structure and also gives monetary incentive with a blockchain social currency. I think it's the stable future that could atleast compete as a platform outside Youtube by Google.

You can always use alternatives - be it a much smaller market share, but you can always.