Reccomend a cheap camera for hiking.

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Reccomend a cheap camera for hiking.

Post by Finis »

Photographers, recommend a camera I could use for photos and videos while hiking for less than $100. Consider:
- Rugged for outdoor use.
- May be exposed to blowing dust or sand.
- High temperature environment.
- 1080 video, 10 MP photos or better.
- 10x optical zoom or close to that.
- Affordable to have extra battery(s) and practical to change them in the field. Prefer normal AA etc. batteries (rechargeable).
- Don't want wide angle, fish eye, etc. or it should be optional.
- Doesn't need to be waterproof.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Reccomend a cheap camera for hiking.

Post by Steinie »

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800 Digital Camera, 20.1MP, 5x Optical/10x Digital Zoom, 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Display, Sweep Panorama, iAuto, Black

Well the battery you requested wasn't in this camera but for the money this camera is very nice.
I don't think a memory card comes with it but just ask. It has the Zeiss lens which is very nice.
It is used but quality of camera is rated excellent. Dust and sand is a problem with all but waterproof cameras or sealed cases. I don't think I'd take a better camera out in desert conditions unless it was sealed.
I have bought from this company many times with no problems.

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20869144.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This camera is in your price range but I also think it would be impossible to find a camera with all the requirements you listed.
What camera are you using now?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Steinie. That one looks like a possibility and brings up getting a used one. Cheap used = semi disposable= solution to sand and dust.

I currently have an old Kodak Z650 a friend gave me. Pic/vid quality not great but mega zoom and easily changed regular batteries.

Of course I want a GoPro for $1 but you are right about getting all that in this price range. Wish list is preferred not required. Probably no regular batteries in cameras now but if I can take and extra or two with me and change it reasonably quickly without tools or it goes a long time on one charge that's good.

This (link) is affordable and has the ruggedness and picture quality but no zoom and I'm not sure if it is permanently wide angle/fish eye and it gets bad ratings.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Not...waterproof? That's just crazy talk. (It also usually means dustproof.)
Regular batteries are no longer a thing in cameras. I mean, who the hell wants convenience like that?
Very rare that it's not a proprietary battery.

Here's how I deal with battery issues in the field: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD6B9IK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The panel charges devices (phone, camera, etc) directly or into a battery bank (with regular rechargeable batteries) has usb, micro usb, and 12 volt 'cigarette lighter' type outlets.
Can then use the bank to charge device w/o sun.

Here's my camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Optio-WG-2-Black ... 0076RR68E/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A few generations behind now, with no wifi or GPS features eating battery life.
Great macro, not so great at long distances.

Probably not what you had in mind, you'd probably use a telephoto lens a lot more than I would.

GoPro is ok, really best for video or action, notoriously bad in low light and of course if you have it in the completely waterproof/dustproof case the microphone suffers. Mine came with 2 cases, one H2O proof and one 'open'. I think some of the new ones don't need a housing. Tiny and super portable though. Fish-eye effect can be removed if desired.

I haven't pored over specs lately so take all this with a grain of salt, or dust.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

That is a nice one Mr. Kdet. Good point about waterproof = dust proof. It is ruggedized, 1080 video, 16 MP photo, 5x zoom. I found extra batteries and a charger cheap and it looks like the battery can easily be swapped. Downside: A bit out of my price level but I'd consider that it is durable. Also the 5x zoom is ok but I like wildlife photos and they flee if I get too close. Can't have it all at a low price so this could be good.

"w/o sun"? That's just crazy talk. I want my 300+ sunny days per year.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Think I'm gonna do it. WG-2. Ebay: (link)
spacekdet
Captain

Post by spacekdet »

Good luck at the auction.
I need to keep an eye out for one of those deals, I need to replace my detachable macro spacer ring which managed to detach itself and escape.
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Brownie Camera Movie
Attachments
brownie camera.jpg
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

James, that Brownie camera certainly meets the price and portability requirements, no battery problems at all, and far out performs the digital competition in high definition video.

No stats about the WG-2's heat resistance but this verified it will be fine if left in the sun.

I'll get that Ebay one after work.
spacekdet
Captain

Post by spacekdet »

This verifies that it's birdpoop-proof.
IMG_1071_e.jpg
Set it down on the picnic table for a few minutes and I come back to a direct hit.
#YouSankMyBattleship