Re: Steinie's U3DA Game "What is it?"

Post by spacekdet »

Billboard actually says: " Don't Forget To Drink Your Ovaltine! "
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by borgcone »

spacekdet wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 17:10 ... Ovaltine ...
Now that you mention it, I come to think of its background as cocoa color. :)
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

All of you are on the almost right track. Observant!

The lower black-and-white billboard. There is at least one more room for improvement. It narrows the list of possible year but perhaps it could mislead you to wrong place.

The blur by camera-shake is making ghosts of the white text to not only left side but also right side.

Besides that, you possibly cannot recognize the shape of one object correctly due to the lens flares/ghosting.

I cannot read the upper board (with orange or red letters) so far, there are some candidates, though.

One of the whitish (neon?) light signs has a line "SHOES". One who know the place (i.e. the right answer) can know that by finding old photos of the place via the net. Currently the sign (and perhaps also some sort of shoe store) does not exist.

Clues from the question master:
- (New) One of two signboard is probably useless.
- (New) The lower signboard is a double-edged sword, it gives you an accurate watch and a map that leads you to a wrong course. :?
- (New) There are two ghosts... left... and right side... :shock:
- (New) One of light signs was of SHOES. It vanished like mist as the time passes.
- Taken more than 50 years ago.
- Right-hand traffic.
- In case of Vladivostok, some street trees seem of subarctic.
- Some objects remain today as far as I see in the Street View.
- (Updated) The lens flares/ghosting might mislead your Street View searching. You might mistakenly be imagining other shape for an object.

P.S.
I'm impatient to write about the "trumpet" in the wilderness.
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

why do you write about Vladivostock??
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

The trees in this photo seem to be of warmer climate in contrast with the ones in Vladivostok (photo of the quiz in the last year).
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

I might be blocking the next quiz from others. Let's go ahead a bit.
The black-and-white billboard matches well with:
3a.jpg
As bitkar wrote, it says "MAY 3". This is the double-edged sword I wrote. The "Tuesday" narrows the list of possible year, but probably it's not easy to know the place by brief-search.
(I've found the vintage label (badge?) with tabs at a shop site in about 2020, but currently cannot find both of the label and the shop.)

Where is the place in the photo (my reply on 19 March 2022 UTC)?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The photo is too blurry so there are few clues to work with. That is why this what-is-is stalled. I'll guess it is Miami Florida or San Diego California.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Finis wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 19:12 - The street is long.
- There are two rows of those lights close together as if in the median of a boulevard. If so then this is a large street.
- There is little or no traffic. There may be a small car parked.
As Finis pointed out at the beginning, the width is important. We can know several details after corrected the horizontality (rotated along depth) and found a vanishing point (V).
wk3.png
- The road is sloping down a bit to the right because the reflection by the wet road is not vertical). That affects how we know the correct centerline of the whole street (vertical plane, green).
- The boundary between sidewalk and roadway seems not to be straight but curved because the parked cars (with little blur and unlit stop lamp) are on the rightward than the observable boundary.
- The width between two rows of the street light seems to be greater than the width of a single lane of the road. Perhaps it may be about the same as of two lanes or greater than it. (You might try to verify it using a brief 3D model!)
- The oncoming lane seems to be not on just left of the trees but located more leftward than that (i.e. almost out of the frame)

The wide area around the street light rows should be one of;
- Median strip with/without walkway.
- Railway (tramway).
- The third road lane.
- Others

Additional hints.
- The place is neither New York, Miami Florida, nor San Diego California, but in the USA.
- Tuesday May 3 before the year 1972 (=2022-50) are 1955, 1960, 1966, etc.(or earlier years after neon light, color slide film, and modern cars).
- I'm not so familiar with the history of the USA but guess that the "Vote" is calling on not to all voters but some sort of "new voters".
- The tall building (in the center of photo) has actually an almost flat roof (then and now). It might look like a hipped (i.e. a bit tipped) roof due to lens ghosting.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

ok, my guess is Chicago or Detroit... I really dont know, I dont have too much time and the photo is a really blurry mess.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Let end this "blurred" quiz from me. Another "What is it?" please.

(Deleted an image here on July 24 2022 UTC. I didn't know that we were not allowed to screenshot Street View)
Canal Street (direction SE to NW), New Orleans, Louisiana (Street View)

The blurred photo was taken in 1966.
Street lights with 3 bulbs, tram (streetcar) between lanes, palm trees, curved parking space, emergency staircases, the buildings...
The building with 3 windows per floor pointed by the left blue bag icon is the one that had the billboards on top.

- The tall building (center of the photo) is the Ritz-Carlton at the present time.
- The "Don't Flunk!" should be related to the Civil Rights Movement.
- The white neon sign at the foot of the building-top-billboards says "FACTORY OUTLET SHOES".
- The big red neon sign next to it is the F. W. Woolworth's five-and-dime store (after it moved from the corner near the Saenger Theatre. There was a sad building-collapse at the corner in 2019. The place is also related to the Civil Rights Movement)

-"WOOLWORTH" and "SHOES" (direction NW to SE)
-Post card
-The billboard. (see 11th and 12th photo in the first group, and find "wool" in the text)
-Woolworth before moved (direction W to E)

P.S.
I made a NURBS object of Finis's "trumpet in the wilderness" (this topic) in order to image-search. I explored around there (near the water tank) via the Street View, It seems to be some kind of parts for water facility.
Attachments
wk5a.cob
tS5 object (loadable also from tS7 Model)
(75.68 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Last edited by borgcone on 24 Jul 2022, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.