AMD chips? New computer build maybe.

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: AMD chips? New computer build maybe.

Post by Finis »

Sent the power supply back. It was after the return date but Amazon was cool and I got a partial refund. Running with the PS from the old computer.

The CPU hit 71C/161F but usually was 69C/157F during a render. It idles at 47C/116F. Room temp a little over 29C/85F. 55C is recommended and 62C max safe. It throttles itself to slower speed at 70C. So I'll be sure the cooler is installed well and see what I can do about fans.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

I worked on a computer that shut it self down. The problem was one of the wires would short to the power supply and shut down. I used a couple of layers of clear shipping tape. It fixed the problem. Voids the warranty but saved on shipping costs.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

It has been running at 60C during renders. I removed the Cooler Master Evo and the thermal paste and applied a thicker amount to ensure good coverage. That made no difference in temps so I added the blue fan salvaged from my old computer on the back of the mobo behind the cpu. There is a vent in the case there. That lowered the temp to 54C - 55C with room temp 77F/25C. I'll accept that since it is the recommended max temp.

What do you think of this idea? See annotated photo. Air flow is front to back from the fan on the front (photo right) of the radiator, through the radiator, and out via the fan on the back. Some upward too from the top fan. My old computer had this shroud on the fan for the cpu cooler. What if I put a shroud between the fan on the back and the cooler radiator. That would pull all the air exiting there through the radiator.
Attachments
BlueFan.jpg
Shroud.jpg
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Hmm... Fan in reverse (to suck in air) at the front or side of the case, then one fan pulling the air OUT of the case at the back. The biggest ones should suck out, while the other to work to pull in.

Also, changing fan speeds in the bios or with third party software.

Also, putting your CPU on low priority when rendering, it won't max the chips out.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Draise. That sounds good. I cranked the fans up some and I'll turn that up some more. They speed up/slow as needed but the software lets me set that. Small power supply is near maxed so for now no more fans.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Repasting the CPU with a thicker layer isn't a good idea, that's not how thermal paste works. Thicker paste won't lead away heat more efficiently, it can in fact become less efficient as a result of doing so. If you applied the paste properly the first time then there is no reason to re-paste it again unless it gets hard, if it does then you should use a different paste.

The blue CPU fan at the back looks cute. Can't say I have ever seen that before on a configuration such as this. You may want to move the fan you have up top (pulling air up and possibly ruining the airflow if not controlled properly) to the other side of your Hyper Evo.
The Evo comes with extra mounting pads and I think that fan is a 120mm fan so it should fit. Set it up in a push/pull configuration leading air out through the back.

You also want to tuck away some of those power cables, try to put them in between the rear wall and the back cover. That will also improve the airflow in your rig. I don't know where your front fan is, I'm guessing at the bottom. To further improve the airflow, move the Hard Drives as far down as you can so the fan can blow as much cool air into the case as possible and I think you'll max out the cooling efficiency of what you've currently got.

The only reason to use that shroud would be if you have a heatsink & fan mounted flat on the CPU pushing air up (or to the side, depending on how you see it), out through the case door/cover. With the EVO in this configuration, that is not necessary.

About your temps during load, I don't remember what CPU you're using but if you're using a third generation Intel i7 (or even and i5) then 60C at load is perfectly normal. Ivy Bridge CPUs are known to run pretty hot, luckily Intel CPUs tend to handle heat quite well.
I had my i7 run at 110 C when I first plugged it in (due to a crappy cooler where the fan got stuck, silly me, don't recommend you do this) and it never once BSODd. I should mention that was over two years ago and that it still runs fine today at a 4.1 Ghz overclock.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

A customer upgraded his computer and gave me his old Geforce GT 640! I had a GT 610 so that's many more cuda cores and 2x or 4x the memory. It was packed with dust (always a problem in the desert plus I'm a slob). Cleaned it up and it's running great. Now if I can get some gpu rendering programs ...

Yeah that back-of-the-mobo fan is unusual. The evo mounting bracket was warm to touch when rendering so I knew there was an opportunity for cooling there. The case has a vent there for a 120mm fan but I attached this smaller fan to the evo's mounting bracket which happened to have holes right for the fan bolts. This fan reduced cpu temps about 5C!

I had a minimum amount of paste on it at first. The idea was to have maximum metal to metal contact and just fill air spaces with the paste. Spread a little and scrape most off with a plastic edge. Other advice on the web used a little more for a thin layer. Thinking I had too little I changed it but it made no difference. I might get some high end paste in the future. Fans, air flow, all only as good as conduction into the radiator.

A shroud, as considered for this, would have been to improvise a push-pull but you're right about adding the second fan to the radiator. It is designed for that and the shroud would be a clumsy improvisation. In the old machine the shroud went from a vent on the side of the case to the blue cpu fan (above) to ensure cool air from outside was used.

I'll look at the airflow issues some other time.

AMD's run notoriously hot. I read that 62C is max that's ok and 55C recommended max. Running around 55C or 54C on renders now so that is ok.

With people overclocking already hot cpu's and spending thousands on computers you would think there would be a refrigerated cooler for computers. A miniature air conditioner. Worth it to "high enders". (For interesting history see Cray-2 and Fluorinert).
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

I stop using AMD processors a long time ago. They always overheated and ended up frying the mother board. :geek:
Walk by faith, not by sight.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Finis wrote:With people overclocking already hot CPUs and spending thousands on computers you would think there would be a refrigerated cooler for computers. A miniature air conditioner. Worth it to "high enders". (For interesting history see Cray-2 and Fluorinert).
Ah, with the cooling of PCs it's not really a matter of getting it as cool as possible. It's all about keeping stable temps.

The reason why you wouldn't use AC coolers or any form of freezing technology on your PC is because you want to keep your CPU running at room-temperature. Anything below that and there is a risk of condensation, which you don't want for obvious reasons. All about finding the proper balance really.
With other extreme cooling methods there may be a risk of electromagnetic interference.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Goal would not be to make it super cold but to counter super heat to maintain optimum temp.