trueSpace761 Workspace - Projects

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: trueSpace761 Workspace - Projects

Post by trueBlue »

Fine with me. The only thing I would miss is the "edit directly" copied to the main aspect, but I can just add it to the UU4Clinton.
For a lack of understanding, why would a user want to Uncheck 'Edit picked material directly'?

I have been stumped before when it was unchecked...
The 'Edit DX material in the Link Editor' button/icon does not work
Edit DX material in the Link Editor.png
Edit DX material in the Link Editor.png (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
And the Inspect Widget RB + Drag shortcut
Inspect Material RB + Drag shortcut.png
Inspect Material RB + Drag shortcut.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

Uncheck to make new materials based on existing materials.

Paint a face with a new material based on the existing material. If checked you have to save the material to the library, deselect and then load from the library and now you can make a new material based on the old material and then paint the face.

If using scene instanced and you edit directly it will change the material for all items in the scene that have that material. Unchecked and you can change the material and assign it to an object or face.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

When you say, 'existing materials', do you mean the current 'Active Material'?

Sorry, having a dense moment trying to understand what 'Edit picked material directly' means, does, and does not do

Using your example, I can Inspect an object's material, which makes it the Active Material, then paint another object's face using the Active Material. 'Edit picked material directly' checked or unchecked did not make any difference

Nevertheless, I will add it to the Default aspect
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 17:21 When you say, 'existing materials', do you mean the current 'Active Material'?

Sorry, having a dense moment trying to understand what 'Edit picked material directly' means, does, and does not do

Using your example, I can Inspect an object's material, which makes it the Active Material, then paint another object's face using the Active Material. 'Edit picked material directly' checked or unchecked did not make any difference

Nevertheless, I will add it to the Default aspect
'Edit picked material directly' means when you edit the material it changes on the object. When unchecked you edit a copy of the material so it doesn't change the original object.

Thanks, I appreciate it, it is super inconvenient having to change aspects just the check and uncheck it.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Okay, thank you!
It looks like 'Edit picked material directly', checked, and using 'Edit DX material in the Link Editor', navigates to the selected object's material within the object
Unchecked, navigates to the Active Material, which is not within the selected object, it is within the Material Editor

Swithing back forth does not seem reliable all of the time