Workspace material picker does not work in a camera view

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Workspace material picker does not work in a camera view

Post by clintonman »

When I try to pick a material in workspace while looking through a camera view it doesn't work.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Workspace material picker does not work in a camera view

Post by trueBlue »

Seems to be working for me, Clinton.
tS761/Vista32 Home
Works better if the item is selected first, in this case I was able to Inspect the cube inside the cube only after it was selected.
I could not see any difference with the different Selection methods either.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Not working for me at all. The closest I get is it displays some generic material which has nothing to do with what's applied to the objects. I tried with objects selected, no object selected, main view switched to camera, 3d floating view switched to camera and I tried with a fresh new camera.
tS761Full and Rosetta on Win7 64bit and winxp 32bit
Clinton Reese

yymoz
Marine
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by yymoz »

clintonman wrote:Not working for me at all. The closest I get is it displays some generic material which has nothing to do with what's applied to the objects. I tried with objects selected, no object selected, main view switched to camera, 3d floating view switched to camera and I tried with a fresh new camera.
Hi clinton, I have had this problem a few times for a number of different reasons...incomplete mesh, poor conversion of mesh from another program or format etc. It occurs across all versions of truespace. The one cause I have had to deal with the most appears to be 'inverted' faces or normals - it was your symptom of 'only offers the default material' that tipped me to it. If the 'material-picker' can't find a face, it won't find its material. Forgive me if this is so obvious and if you had already discounted the possibility, but then again, it can't hurt to check ;)

If this is the case, merely selecting the 'underside-view' may be enough, moving the camera inside the object will also do it - best practice is to check the faces are all united in the orientation you want them in.

respectfully yymoz
[TrueSpace fan - eager beginner]
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

yymoz wrote:
clintonman wrote:Not working for me at all. The closest I get is it displays some generic material which has nothing to do with what's applied to the objects. I tried with objects selected, no object selected, main view switched to camera, 3d floating view switched to camera and I tried with a fresh new camera.
Hi clinton, I have had this problem a few times for a number of different reasons...incomplete mesh, poor conversion of mesh from another program or format etc. It occurs across all versions of truespace. The one cause I have had to deal with the most appears to be 'inverted' faces or normals - it was your symptom of 'only offers the default material' that tipped me to it. If the 'material-picker' can't find a face, it won't find its material. Forgive me if this is so obvious and if you had already discounted the possibility, but then again, it can't hurt to check ;)

If this is the case, merely selecting the 'underside-view' may be enough, moving the camera inside the object will also do it - best practice is to check the faces are all united in the orientation you want them in.

respectfully yymoz
[TrueSpace fan - eager beginner]
Nope, that wasn't it. I'm pretty sure I used simple primitives for my tests, but when I was going to test your idea I found something. I had a scene with a boolean object with 3 materials went to camera view and tried the material picker and it didn't work. I created a new cube in the scene and suddenly I can pick materials in the camera view. Also happens if I point edit a mesh, suddenly mat picking works. If I scale something in the scene it starts working. If you start truespace and it's already in camera view then material picking works. So I think something is happening or not happening when switching to camera view.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

The only way (sofar) I can NOT get the Inspect Widget to work using Vista32, is when the object is not selected.
Perhaps changing the Priority level would help.
HTH
Attachments
Capture.PNG
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote:The only way (sofar) I can NOT get the Inspect Widget to work using Vista32, is when the object is not selected.
Perhaps changing the Priority level would help.
HTH
Nope, no effect.

Edit: Bah! Now it's working. I don't know what happened, but I guess I'll just be happy and move on. My best guess is some scripting or node building development must corrupted tS at some point.
Clinton Reese

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Wow.... clinton fixes stuff with force of will alone...... :worship:
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote:My best guess is some scripting or node building development must corrupted tS at some point.
For sure! Happens to me all of the time and I Reset the Default Context.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I figured out what is happening here when the Inspect tool does not work when viewing from a Camera.
The Inspect tool is actually inspecting the material of the Camera.
Workaround:
1.) Select an object first before using the Inspect tool.

2.) If you have the Unofficial Update 4 installed, LMB + Drag on the object that you want to Inspect.
The Inspect tool will then start to work.