Modelside bugs - what are they?

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Modelside bugs - what are they?

Post by clintonman »

I've been searching around the internet and can't find a comprehensive list of truespace bugs. I know there are several bugs in 7.61 model side that keep people using 7.6(and 6.6). So, what are the known bugs or where can I find them?
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Modelside bugs - what are they?

Post by v3rd3 »

Clinton, I don't know of anyone trying to formally organize or manage the development work around TS so I think the most comprehensive source is the forums here.

Jimmer found some problems with 7.61 modelside that were discussed here.

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 00&start=0

The forums are a terrific source of information but I don't know if it is the best way to organize it.

If there is any interest in creating a process for organizing the development effort including bug tracking I would be glad to be a part of it. There is a simple open source project management tool (dotproject.net) that I am using for another project. It includes a trouble ticket system that can help us manage reported items and create a managed communication channel between users and devs.

If anyone is interested in hosting this tool I will gladly admin it.

We would set up user accounts in the system for those hoping to participate in reporting, coding and testing.

The next piece would be to establish a documentation wiki. I would be happy to help with that as well. Strange as it may seem, there are still new faces showing up here from time to time so a wiki with everything we can muster; installation guides, help, history of TS and plugins would be very helpful.

Any of the other devs that are interested in piping in here ... please do :D
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Let's create a topic: Modelside Bugs List

And list any bug we encounter, I face them several times I use it.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

@Leon, the forum already has a bugs topic which is being used.

What I think Mr. Reese :worship: is looking for is a bit more specific.

The forum topics allow people to describe their issues etc and for volunteers like Mr. Reese :worship: to respond.

But using the forum has some limitations that other tools might better address.

1) The reporting of bugs is therefore limited to this forum.

2) Mr. Reese :worship: and the other devs have to run around hunting for this information instead of coding or teaching others how to code.

3) Users (new and old) trying to understand where the bugs are, track the installation path for all the goodies etc have to read every article in this forum to find the info. ... OR. ... everyone on the forum has to be ready to point new users to the articles/posts/links etc... because at some point there will be too much to look through to find everything.

A project management tool with trouble tickets can, with the help of all concerned, be a repository and a history textbook for all things going on.

A wiki is a complementary piece for centralizing help documents, videos, video links etc. The benefit being it is far easier to search than the forum format.

If we can find a way to put these things together we stand a good chance of tempting more new TS users and having them stick around a while.

I admit this is adding to the workload but if we take the shot it may prove worthwhile.

At the rate designdevil is carving out new plugins we might need a server just for his wiki :D
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

clintonman wrote:I've been searching around the internet and can't find a comprehensive list of truespace bugs. I know there are several bugs in 7.61 model side that keep people using 7.6(and 6.6). So, what are the known bugs or where can I find them?
I haven't found new bugs in tS7.61 Model side.

One tool of tS 7.61 Model side has even been improved : that's the Texture Browser.
In tS 7.6, the Texture Browser was VERY slow when browsing a folder that contains a lot of files (more than 300) : trueSpace had to re-generate the thumbnails each time you open the Texture Browser. This has been fixed in tS 7.61

In other words, there is no reason not using tS7.61 Model side.
Attachments
ts761_bug_fix.jpg
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

That's interesting, it looks like different people have different experiences with modelside. I see posts that say "use ts7.6 modelside, don't use ts7.61 modelside". I remember from the old forums that there were specific reasons for this statement. I chose 25% modelspace in froo's pole, so I'm not as likely to see the bugs that the 100% user will see.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
danperk

Post by danperk »

I'm in the 25% modelside category as well but here's a few bugs I've noticed:

1. Panel in Stack for PhotoRender settings does not work (Render Quality, Render Method, AA etc.)
The Icons work but not the stack. This screen cap shows the stack changed to Medium Render Quality
and the settings are still at High.
PhoRend.jpg
PhoRend.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
2. Global environment maps location are not saved with a scene (.scn) file. Work around is to use a certain
common folder for Hdri images and add it to the path in preferences.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Here is a video showing that the Bridge is not working in tS761.
I am viewing from the same Camera in Workspace and Model.
Navigating from Model is insync with Workspace.
Navigating from Workspace is NOT insync with Model.
Capture.PNG
tS761 Unofficial Update 2212010 21-Feb-2010 3:10 PM
Vista32
The above works as expected in tS76
Attachments
tS761 Bug.zip
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 282 times