Smart people ~ Great Scripts
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Nurbs Workspace Plugin Thread

Post by clintonman »

froo wrote:... So, fuggit. I am not doing this autotriangulation (AT) bullshit
anymore. ....
I think I've seen this problem too, but I didn't realize it until you specifically mentioned it. The AT is something I've always ignored, but I think being aware of it might help me.

If you finish the NURBS there's a good chance I would use it. :bananathumb:
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com

stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

I'd use it too :bananathumb:

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thanks guys.
Just a little frustrated with it.
See, here's what happened.
I stepped through in debug mode, and saw that the GeoIdUvCoords stream, which I generated in the control surface
code, was changing:
When I enter edit mode, and move a triangle, the 'GetMesh' function is called repeatedly. That's just how tS works. The GetMesh function is called repeatedly in order to provide real time updates.
The first 2-3 times through the loop, the GeoIdUvCoords stream *Does Not Change*.
Then, the 4th time through, it appears sorted. The UV coordinates are valid values, but the stream is rearranged / sorted.
I do not know why this happens. Apparently tS is doing the sorting.

Ah well. Screw it. I think I would get more out of this if I was actually Progressing with this, rather than troubleshooting
the problem. So, goodbye autotriangulation.

BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Hi froo, metoometoometoo (hey a new song of mine) :mrgreen: (sounds kind of Japanese?) :?

But seriously I'd use it too - since I'm using Bezier-Splines in 2-D graphics from old atariST- & x286-times on. They've gotten one of the essentials of a good design-tool for me - more than ever in 3D. As they're used in 2D-CAD, I think those are badly needed to avoid conversion problems, when taking data over to 3D. Since I researched the specs about tS, I was wondering why nurbs - which where a step ahead for Modelside - have been dropped again for Workspaceside ...!? What a 'derivate'? Didn't know about any of the problems you describe now - I'm no programmer - but could it be, that nurbs have been dropped exactly for that reason?

But besides that interest I'm worrying on you froo - sounds you gonna ruin your health, we can wait - first have a drink & recreate ... have a good time ... with your family ...
hope your fridge is best equipped with cold ..... whatever :bananacheers:

Sometimes it urgently needs to get ones head free first.

Cheers :worship:
-BM.

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thanks Booxie.
Well, I work on it when my wife is taking a pilates class; an hour at a time. That's one issue. I can't spend
too much time on it, at any one time.
I have the 'non-Auto Triangulate' approach working fine. It's the auto-triangulation that is irritating me.
I figured, if I could just get that working, then we could create any number of editing tools. Based on conversations with Tomas, autotriangulation is necessary for other editing tools, but not necessarily this nurbs tool. I wanted to solve that problem. I just got bugged 'no pun intended' by the issue with this GeoIdUvCoord stream getting sorted, when I thought, it was guaranteed to NOT get sorted.

I think the best course of action, for now, is to go back to the non-auto triangulation method, and get the nurbs code working. That way, folks can at least use it. Then I could go back to the autotriangulation issue, of course, if Tomas can share details of the process. It could be, that code is trueSpace specific and the SDK-implementation is broken. I would not be surprised. So, we'll see.

Yeah you are correct; I need to 'cool off'. This move should be over in about 1 month. This house we live in, has been a worry since we moved in pretty much, due to this foreclosure crap.

BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Yes, I think the approach to leave it, is the right one for now. Perhaps next month or one after that, you're just taking a shower or doing something else not thinking of that mess ... happy for a new sunny day - suddenly you'll get kicked by a genius idea ...

That is often the way it works.

By the heck I don't understand why one would need that triangulation, when I want to work with nurbs - bloody laie speaking - is there any way to bypass the conversion untill the object is done finally ... and then if needed triangulated once? Or is it necessary to permanently adapt this triangulation for realtime display means, 'cause the shaders are not able to shade nurbs?

-BM.

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Well, I don't think it's not needed for nurbs, but if you are working on polygon editing, it may be needed.
That's ok. :)

richlevy
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by richlevy »

ok, now I see, I thought it was the other way around :bananacheers: the triangulation thing...
Some advise I give hey?

Work on young man, lets see whatcha got.

Rich
My Flickr site, here you can see some of the photography I do:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich-l/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

hehe thanks Rich!
Tomas indicated, while the stream is not locked, it can be written to. Well, I did lock it.
But I can use this Clone function, but, ehhhh... no. Not now. I need to make some progress with the actual nurbs code, as opposed to this autotriangulation stuff. Ok! :ugeek:

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Ok; I remember now, why we should have autotriangulation capability for the nurbs tool.

Say, you want to add an edge, or vertex, to the control surface, to get finer detail in a certain area. When we do that, the face needs to be retriangulated appropriately. It would be best to do this during edit mode, rather than having to Exit edit mode, then return back to edit mode.
So, I should do it. Just not now. But I will!