REALTIME blurry reflections with refraction!

Dx Shaders, Vray Materials, LW materias,Textures and more..
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

REALTIME blurry reflections with refraction!

Post by Draise »

CHECK THIS OUT!!! I'm so PUMPED!

REALTIME REFLECTIONS WITH REFRACTION AND BLUR!

I took the advice of using a camera to texture projection. And with some post processing trickery, I also created a blurry effect. Then with other trickery, I mapped out a DirectX glass shaders reflection map to the surface where I could input the camera to texture. So voila! Magic! The reflective map of the shader was what the camera was seeing. Next step, I made a "look at" from the reflection camera to another main camera, my viewport. AND LOOK! Things are rotating.
Now I fixed the FOV of the refleciton camera to a rather high value, and positioned it in the center of the spere.

Magic.

A steel ball in realtime, or a blurry steel mirror, or a slight odd reflective material.

There is no caustics, and no ray bouncing. But that will not even be possible for a few years. For a 2 year old program, this is more than a cheap way to make reflections and refractions, but a super fast way for metal and mirrors on the go!

The only tricky part was positioning the cameras and getting a good FOV, as linking a camera to an objects matrix was a bit unpredictable. Later, I will make a tutorial as how to get the right blurry post processing (a trick) and how to link your camera to your object while positioning it properly so that when the object moves, so does the reflection with it. I will also include a tutorial on how to make your very own reflective materials to simulate some awesome effects, right before your very dam**d eyes!

Enjoy the examples:
Attachments
reflections with false ambient occlusion.PNG
mirror1.PNG
blurry reflection.PNG
Draise
Captain

Re: REALTIME blurry reflections with refraction!

Post by Draise »

More examples. The first ball has my little fao (fake ambient occlusion) light setup.
The next 3 balls have the default lighting, but it still looks good. It takes a bit of fiddling with all the settings to get a convincing reflection, but it is possible, and you can do it to your taste. Still not up par to reality.. but if you want reality, take a photo!!! =P

lol!

Enjoy, would love your feedback, maybe your experiments or artwork in realtime!

I'm stoked!
Attachments
realtime blurry reflections3.PNG
realtime blurry reflections2.PNG
realtime blurry reflections.PNG
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Very Cool Draise!
Could you post the scene files as samples so we can download them
and experiment?

Note: I think, you can upload RsObj files (trueSpace objects), but not RsScn files (trueSpace scene files).
So, you may need to zip the scene files. Or, I think someone mentioned before, you can encapsulate all your objects as one big RsObj object (using encapsulate in 3D button), save that as an RsObj, and upload it.

Hm I wonder if this type of stuff would work in Shared Space (I still need to get that setup at home - delays).
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

wow Draise... you are certainly tackling TS with a lot of energy. I am having trouble just keeping up with the reading you are creating.... :)

Thanks for your input.,..;l
Cayenne
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Cayenne »

froo wrote:Very Cool Draise!
and experiment?

Note: I think, you can upload RsObj files (trueSpace objects), but not RsScn files (trueSpace scene files).
So, you may need to zip the scene files. Or, I think someone mentioned before, you can encapsulate all your objects as one big RsObj object (using encapsulate in 3D button), save that as an RsObj, and upload it.

Hm I wonder if this type of stuff would work in Shared Space (I still need to get that setup at home - delays).

effects should work in a ss , trick might be to get the "camera" to attach ( look through ) avatars eye , but all render pipeline effects processed and manipulated ( hacked ) on server scene should show on clients in theory ,
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Here is a sample scene! And more examples.

NEWS FLASH! REFRACTIVE TRANSPARENCY ILLUSION!!!!

I also created a reverse camera, linked to a cube, reverse linked to another oppossite floating cube, linked to the second camera (a trick in constraints to reverse look a camera) to then get a refracted transperency (by projectiong the other side by the oppossite camera with refraction and blur on the visual side). I even made it blurry with my post processing trick.

The scene is a bit messy, but you get the idea! So I made a glass spere with relfections and refractions.

I also got rid of a weird fish eye environment refleciton mirror map that the default TS dx shader had (an issue in my example above). I used another glass shader from Parva, which got rid of that problem and had better refraction maps. I also got rid of it's bacterium alpha shader and used a texture shader instead (to then I used the other-side-camera), to project the first transparency camera on the visible side.
Also, figured out how and why there is a line in the reflection and refraction when you rotate 360o..... it's cause of the camera UV projection... damned spere projection has a line one side. Simple solution, rotate the UV with the camera.

But it's look more and more like the coolest thing in realtime yet!

Still, no caustics, but I am theorizing that a simple projector light with a special caustic like shape's will simlate it. So then it's up to the artists how the caustis look. Caustics.. i think will have to wait for the future and a larger budget with developers and the like.

So here is my little fun I did today, after render wrangling all damned week, needed a break. 15 minutes of animation set up in under 8 days! And now I gotta go, edit them and export them for TV. So that's it for today!

Enjoy,

PEACE ALL!
Attachments
Captura2.PNG
refraction n reflection glass ball.PNG
Space 3D, 21.zip
(4.96 MiB) Downloaded 260 times
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

More examples
Attachments
Captura5.PNG
This is the error of the UV map
This is the error of the UV map
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Cayenne wrote:
froo wrote:Very Cool Draise!
and experiment?

effects should work in a ss , trick might be to get the "camera" to attach ( look through ) avatars eye , but all render pipeline effects processed and manipulated ( hacked ) on server scene should show on clients in theory ,

Yeah.. I's say it'd work if we could get the camera to show from the visitor's eyes, if not, you is still got a good enough fix for simulating a more realistic environment map relfection of a reflective material in a scene.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

=)
Attachments
blurry refraction.PNG