Is 3000 triangles good for a character these days? More?

Game Engines, Projects and more

In your opinion, what's the hardest part of making a 3d game?

Programming
26%
3d Modeling
15%
Texturing/Shading/UV mapping
11%
Animation
11%
Special effects/Physics/Lighting
15%
Planning/design ideas
11%
Getting and/or making sounds and music
4%
I don't make games yet
4%
I never want to make games
4%

Total votes: 27

brotherx
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Is 3000 triangles good for a character these days? More?

Post by brotherx »

slicer4ever wrote:@brotherx, is that with v3.0 of xna, or could it be done in v2.0?, i used xna only as v2.0 and had many difficulty's in creating distributions, as for your directx/c++ redistribution issue, have you considered trying openGL, i find openGL tends to have a wider base of graphic cards that support it
I believe they improved things with v3 and then 3.1 which I use.

I think the distribution issue was less a directx thing WRT the work software and more to do with which SDK version (they are using stuff from 3 years ago in case new ones break the code) and also the version of visual studio...v6 I think it is. The application works fine until visualisation is needed and then it has to be XP...it's only a few smaller bits that break but it breaks all the same. I tried upgrading it to studio 2005/08 and it just died completely but that was more the MFC I think. OpenGL was never an option as it's not a game, more a business app that needed to interact heavily with windows forms and had no control over the basicness of the 3d Hardware being used. It's not something I actively work on so not my problem :)

3DGS A7 uses a C like language called C-Lite and according to the website it was put together with help from Atari.
slicer4ever

Post by slicer4ever »

brotherx wrote:
slicer4ever wrote:@brotherx, is that with v3.0 of xna, or could it be done in v2.0?, i used xna only as v2.0 and had many difficulty's in creating distributions, as for your directx/c++ redistribution issue, have you considered trying openGL, i find openGL tends to have a wider base of graphic cards that support it
I believe they improved things with v3 and then 3.1 which I use.

I think the distribution issue was less a directx thing WRT the work software and more to do with which SDK version (they are using stuff from 3 years ago in case new ones break the code) and also the version of visual studio...v6 I think it is. The application works fine until visualisation is needed and then it has to be XP...it's only a few smaller bits that break but it breaks all the same. I tried upgrading it to studio 2005/08 and it just died completely but that was more the MFC I think. OpenGL was never an option as it's not a game, more a business app that needed to interact heavily with windows forms and had no control over the basicness of the 3d Hardware being used. It's not something I actively work on so not my problem :)

3DGS A7 uses a C like language called C-Lite and according to the website it was put together with help from Atari.
ah, i see, hmm, perhaps i'll try using it again and see what i can do, thanks for the info=-)
tamtam
Petty Officer First Class

Post by tamtam »

@clintonman
When I import one of the sample PSK files from UT3 I get a count of 9980 faces/triangles from the modelside object info face count.
1. Was that a character model, or what kind of 3d model was it that you imported?
That seems like it could be a lot of triangles/faces for one 3d model in a PC game.

2. Do you think I should (if I could) model a game character for a PC game with around 9980 triangles/faces?

3. Does the triangle count for a PC game character matter more if there are more characters in the view of the game's main camera because of all the characters' triangles rendering simultaneously, or does the camera view not matter at all when taking into consideration all those triangles for the characters, scenery, and props?

Thankyou everyone! ... again.
slicer4ever

Post by slicer4ever »

tamtam wrote:@clintonman
When I import one of the sample PSK files from UT3 I get a count of 9980 faces/triangles from the modelside object info face count.
1. Was that a character model, or what kind of 3d model was it that you imported?
That seems like it could be a lot of triangles/faces for one 3d model in a PC game.

2. Do you think I should (if I could) model a game character for a PC game with around 9980 triangles/faces?

3. Does the triangle count for a PC game character matter more if there are more characters in the view of the game's main camera because of all the characters' triangles rendering simultaneously, or does the camera view not matter at all when taking into consideration all those triangles for the characters, scenery, and props?

Thankyou everyone! ... again.
2. no, try and keep the triangle count as low as possible

3. graphic cards do a thing called clipping, basically any triangle that is not visible is cut out of the scene and isn't rendered, however don't take that as a gateway to put alot of objects into the scene and try and use the camera to only view certain objects, theirs still the processing time it takes to determine rather or not an object is in the viewport or not, so recommendation is to keep it as minimum as you can, hopefully this helps