Grid for Games

Game Engines, Projects and more
Kre8or
Seaman
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Grid for Games

Post by Kre8or »

Hi,

I'm really rusty with TS. How do you setup the grid system? I would like to set up the units to 1unit = 1foot (like many do for Source engine games.) I would also like to set the grid for cube2 engine (I only know the size from the textures) where the default block face is 64x64 pixels. The smallest size is 16x16 pixels If I remember right, but I probably wouldn't set the grid to that. Maybe 32x32pixels after I find out how that fits into TS unit, if possible.

I'm not sure how "count and zoom" factor in... wish it were just inches or something. When I change the grid size the snapping is off too. Not sure how to fix this. Does anyone know what the standard grid size is in inches,feet, or meters?

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S. I found that TS is the only free modeler that can change the grid scale and snap to it like the high end modelers do. I could be wrong though. I would like to use TS like a map modeler(like GTK gradient) but with modeling too.

SO MANY NANNERZ----> : :superbanana: :bananacool2: :bananalove: :bananacheers: :bananadrum: :bananaclaus: :bananaguitar: :bananamad: :bananadevil: :worship:
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: Grid for Games

Post by spacekdet »

A couple questions:
What version of tS are you using?
Do you have the Workspace Organics Modeling Video Course Tutorial by Jack Edwards? I think that one covered setting up grids to model from.

Natively, grid is usually only displayed in the Top view, but you can set up planes as substitutes for the other views.
I know how to change the units to feet using Model side, but if your version doesn't include Model then that info isn't worth much!

Maybe this bump/reply will prompt a Workspace expert to chime in.

Update: the standard grid square = 1 meter
Kre8or
Seaman

Post by Kre8or »

No, I can't seem to find a good link to that tut. Very sad that Microsoft can't even pay to host a website. Too busy making windows 8 suck for us and must have forgot to renew the domain.... Nice.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Ya I have the beta 8 version with workspace included. Thanks for any advice on setting up the grid. :D
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

http://www.creative-3d.net/3dtutorials. ... =trueSpace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down and look for Organics.

Don't know if the complete series is there but it's a start. I think he covers the grid/reference planes setup in the beginning.
It's been a while since I watched it so don't quote me.

Oh, crap, maybe this was the one I was thinking of: http://www.spacekdet.com/tutorials/refpl8n/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kre8or
Seaman

Post by Kre8or »

Thanks,

That will help a lot! :)