Death of PC gaming? i dont think so!

Game Engines, Projects and more
Jason Rogers
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Death of PC gaming? i dont think so!

Post by Jason Rogers » 08 Feb 2010, 16:28

It's been a while since i last posted, but looking through some of the more recent posts i feel the need to point people back in the direction of open source options for developement..

As a few of you may be aware, i have taken upon myself the challenge of takeing an old 2D isometric MMORPG game, and bringing it into 3D world.

After hacking and slashing my way through countless developement environments and design packages, i concluded that the only viable option for me was to go Open Source all the way.

As for the modelling side, there are massive changes and improvements on the horizon with Blender, including an overhaul of its built in game engine. Alot of the changes are being aimed at making its interface far easier to comprehend and more freindly for those that are new to the software, or have been put off in the past.
- http://www.blender.org

For the Game Dev side of things i really REALLY recommend checking out Ogre and persevering with it. Although Ogre itself is only a graphics rendering engine, it's features to rival even the biggest comercial names out there, and the plugin system allows you easily work with a large selection of other libraries to handle complex physics, network, sound etc.
- http://www.ogre3d.org

There is also a nifty scene development environment called "Ogitor" available which allows you to build complex scenes in a WYSIWYG fashion, cutting out the need for alot of the more humdrum coding, and it also allows you to work with most if not all other libraries you may be including.

There is a massive amount of documentation for the above mentioned software, not to mention amazing communities and the hundreds of tutorials available.

Give ogre a try at least.. its good fun and can be very rewarding!
Wisdom is understanding how little you truly know.

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Death of PC gaming? i dont think so!

Post by v3rd3 » 08 Feb 2010, 16:38

Thanks for posting your comments Jason. I agree that ogre has a great deal of potential for game developers.

At present I am looking at the Unreal Development Kit and the Unity engine. I think that Unity offers an interesting choice as I think it is possible to develop its potential as a replacement for what I hoped to accomplish with trueserve as well as being able to deploy games. It seems to be the combination of tools I was always interested in.

Jason Rogers
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Unity Engine

Post by Jason Rogers » 09 Feb 2010, 13:33

Yes the Unity engine and developement environment offer almost everything you could want, indeed some very well designed and intuitive software to get anyone where they want to go for the majority.

I would like to know though, as i havent done a great deal with it personally.. is it possible to set up a good client-server system with it? or is it limited to just setting up client hosting? (ie. someone starts server via the client and others join in)

Sorry.. i really should try learning correct terminology.. i know how things work, and if i dont it doesnt take me long to figure out - but learning all the proper names and words to describe things is not my forte lol :oops:
Wisdom is understanding how little you truly know.