Game Pipelines

Game Engines, Projects and more
3dfrog
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Game Pipelines

Post by 3dfrog »

Hello

I am about to develop a game for a client and wondering what everyone is using for their game pipelines. I just am wondering if I am missing anything good.

Here's mine:

Modeling and animation: truespace 7.6

Possibly animation in messiah 3d as well, they are releasing an fbx export soon and will see how it works.

File converstions and game model fixes: ultimate unwrap 3d and fragmotion

And I am using the shiva development software to make the game ( http://www.stonetrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

So what is everyone using?
Jack Edwards

Re: Game Pipelines

Post by Jack Edwards »

I wasted a few years writing my own graphics/game engine, now I'm certain that it's much more important to generate the art content first, lol.

I've messed around with trueVision3d: http://www.truevision3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I've been leaning more towards Ogre3D of late:
http://www.ogre3d.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mainly I use OBJ format to get between applications, since all you really need is the geometry and UVs. The rest is usually app or engine specific.

And if you have UU3D, that is great for converting your models to whatever format you need.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

The only 3D game I've made was in Awakening, great for 1st person, rather clunky in 3rd person, imports 3ds and obj from TS, X and DAE animation but mutiple textures are a problem, it uses LUA which is very easy to learn :) it does online playable games
http://www.awingsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The current beta version is fully funtioning, the only bug I found was a display issue if post processing was enabled in a wire frame view.
Also the small game I did is open source so people are welcome to pull it apart to see how it worked

Everything else I do is image based, my latest is all done in Flash CS3, plus I'm a Linux tester for the panoramic Pipmak game engine.. the way things are going my present game will be in Flash, Pipmak, and Awakening lol
3dfrog

Post by 3dfrog »

I have checked out awekenings and truevision before. Unfortunately both are pc only and I need them to run on mac as well, which is why I went with shiva which runs on windows, mac and linux, even on iphone.

It's great to hear suggestions and pipelines. Thanks folks, keep em coming.

:bananahi:
Dirk_Fist
Marine

Post by Dirk_Fist »

Im using C4, it does mac and pc, I have'nt tried importing yet, but it accepts dea (collada) so I don't anticipate any insurmountable problems :?
nowherebrain
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by nowherebrain »

I still use 3dgamestudio, it is basically C, and as a matter of fact...you can use standard C
#include<stdio.h>
#include<windows.h>
or whatever the headers you use, plus there are game specific functions like snd_play and stuff...
anyway....that and blender.
nigec

Post by nigec »

I like 3DGS a lot, my only grumble was the forum was way to big and I found you rarely got an answer from someone who knew what they where talking about, I think most where p'd off by kids expecting the game to be done for them.
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

This sounds like another self help opportunity.... :D
nowherebrain
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by nowherebrain »

v3rd3 wrote:This sounds like another self help opportunity.... :D
Huh?
nigec

Post by nigec »

v3rd3 wrote:This sounds like another self help opportunity.... :D
That's the type of useful reply I used to always get! :D :lol:

Ive been trying to do games since 1998, starting with IF, AGS, 3DGS, Flash and Awakening, and over the years more and people have jumped on the bandwagon trying to build teams, but the can't actually do anything, only a few people get past the first room, as a result peple usually hit the defencive on folk with a low post count, I've been a member of the 3DGS forum since 2004 and posted half a dozen times lol.