North Bayou - Screen Stand 08

Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

North Bayou - Screen Stand 08

Post by Draise »

8th in the series - a good client - not high pay but stable pay.

Another quick preview of my next animation, the 8th in a series of screen stands for a company in China selling here in Colombia.
A work in progress, an 8th video NB NORTH BAYOU, coming soon!
Decided the rig was going to be complicated in trueSpace, and I was taking too long ironing out the bugs. The very fact that the Matrix has a shear value to it really throws everything off. Why is there even a shear value in a matrix!?!? I only need SRT. So when I use drivers to create a rig from scratch, and the parenting is not good - I get really terrible squished and stretched blown geometry. So.. I exported it via FBX, and then proceeded to rig it in Softimage. Rigging in SI is really... quick and solid. Very trustworthy. You have local and world Matrices, and you can set neutral local matrices - so configuring what I was doing in truespace (using nodes to drive the rig) was really easy to setup in ICE. In fact, it was so easy it didin't take half the time I would have in trueSpace. No bugs. it took me a while to get the arm joints working though - as I didin't know how to do it.

It was easy enough after a while though.

I did develop a script with help from Stan, to get a reset matrix button. Handy.

So I ported it all to softimage to animate, should save me time animating too come to think of it - and I also developed some python scripts to export the system to MSP, or Mach Studio Pro 2, ready for GPU render.

That box is a direct viewport render.

So..... yeah, completely different workflow than all the other 7 of these that I've done. I miss hanging out in trueSpace, but I think for complex rigs - it's not ideal - though still possible to do what more solid software can do. In fact, if it wasn't for the LE rigging I developed and did with all the other stands - I wouldn't have been able to pick it up with ICE so quickly.

Thanks trueSpace.

Now.. no more procrastinating and getting more animation done. Right now I'm procrastinating though.. I should animate.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: North Bayou - Screen Stand 08

Post by Finis »

Glad you got this job and a repeat customer. What is happening with that other job you applied for? The one where you had to do some Maya stuff.
Draise wrote:... quick and solid. Very trustworthy.
This is what you need for commercial use. Quick is profitable when you can get it but trustworthy, dependable, capable are most important for business tools. Quick usually follows from those and experience and expertise in using them. Less time fighting bugs/malfunctions, finding work-arounds for inabilities, etc. Intelligence and creativity unfortunately aren't tools to be bought but are great when applied to innovation or problem solving. Fortunately your ancestors gave you the genes for those.

Stan! He is under appreciated because he doesn't make pictures.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker