Vray Standalone for Truespace - Project.

Smart people ~ Great Scripts
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Vray Standalone for Truespace - Project.

Post by Emmanuel »

Tiles wrote:I don`t want to discourage you, but what do you expect? trueSpace is a dead product. And there are nearly no users left. Makes no sense to go on here in my opinion :)
Tiles, I own an Amiga600, and recently upgraded that machine with a CompactFlash hard disk and a Wifi PCMCIA card. And I still can find developpers making useful tools to run on that 20 years old OS.
So why tSCommunity could not survive to the corportate death of its favorite tool ?

TrueSpace is still my primary tool. I am using it 6-7 hours per day.
And although I don't have enough skills in programming to offer a significant help on Augusto's development, I will support that exporter project as much as I can !
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

I'll give you what limited help I can. Let me know...
Tiles
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tiles »

Tiles, I own an Amiga600, and recently upgraded that machine with a CompactFlash hard disk and a Wifi PCMCIA card. And I still can find developpers making useful tools to run on that 20 years old OS.
So why tSCommunity could not survive to the corportate death of its favorite tool ?
Heh, i once had an Amiga 500 for a month or so, but sold it then to buy a P166 with win 95 instead. What about you? Do you still work with your Amiga? Or do you use Windows now instead to do the work? :)

It`s not that i dislike tS or Amiga. I still work with tS too. I even keep the Workspace Plugins List up to date. But you have to face the facts at one point. The remaining bugs are killing me, day by day. And there is no hope of relief. The bones system is fubar and more or less useless. The available render engines are outdated and/or lack of functionality.

A VRay pipeline to a full, not limited VRay solution sounds nice in the first moment. But who will buy a 600 dollar baby for a unfinished abandoned software? Half the price didn`t sell good enough when trueSpace was still in development. They stopped selling it because of exactly that ...

All things that are worth thinking about when thinking about to plug tS into new renderers. Because its a heck lots of work. The Yafaray plugin has shown this. Work that may be for the birds. Because you can count the potential users for it at one hand nowadays.

Nevertheless best of luck with the VRay plugin here. Just don`t wonder when the response is not this big as expected. That`s all i wanted to say :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

As far I know it is for the Vray standalone that will work with maya too, so you don't need to worry about buy something for a dead software...
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Tiles

Post by Tiles »

No offence, but somebody who owns Maya and still uses tS does something wrong. That`s just my personal opinion though :)
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

It depends on your needs.
If you want to create characters, animate them, and render in real-time, no doubt tS is an outdated software :)

But for architecture vizualisation, animation of logos, some special effects for video clips, fast modeling, etc. trueSpace actually does the job in a very pleasant environment, once loaded with the 20-30 essential tsX of course.
And since that use of the software can generate an income, there is a niche market -or niche demand- for the tools that give an additional value to the work (mostly better render quality, workflow accelerators).

Does this make sense ?
Tiles

Post by Tiles »

Sure it does. At least as long as you ignore the power of other available software. And as long as you love bugs. Todays workflow: three times reset to default context and reinstalled all needed plugins, just to be faced with another bug. Now the groundgrid refuses to show. Reset number four is knocking at the door ...

In the end the tool that does the job is good enough.

But that was not the question when i anwered Prodigy. He was surprised that nobody reacted. I not. All i did was to tell where it comes from :)
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I agree with you in several things but when I mean that you can use it in Maya and others.. (Sketchup?) Is that after tS become obsolete you can buy maya or other apps that supports it.

I would use tS even owning maya, there is some modelings tS does better or because I do better in tS.
Also for some miracle I don't get any bug in the last month, but I still save it each 5 minutes. :lol:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

Thanks TrueBlue..

BTW, we can use VRAYREALTIME too.. ;)

For some reason it doesn't work on my machine, but i guess is because i still using my 6600vtd instead another dx10 or so.
There's no documentation for the Vray command line, but seems the blender group used Reverse engineering from maya reading the results and then makeing something to get that result in the same way like maya, that's all..

So i'm doing the same thing.. So basically i'm copy the behavior from blender on truespace.

i'll make a video showing how it is working now :)
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

a small eye-candy
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑